question

Manda avatar image
Manda asked

System only works when VE.Can terminator is removed?

Hi there,

My installation works as expected since october 1st, without noticeable issue (Multiplus 5kVA + 2*100/35 regulator + 2790 Wc solar panels + 4,8kWh lithium batterie + Cerbo Gx). BUT, it only works when no VE.Can terminator plugged in (!) Everything else correctly wired. Long-term issues ?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What components do you have exactly?

Victron don't have a MPPT 100/35 and the 150/35 don't have VE.Can.

What is not working with the terminator plugged in?

Where do you plug the terminator?

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Manda avatar image Manda commented ·

Sorry. You're right: I have 2*150/35 MPPTs connected via VE.direct. First time I made the installation, Multiplus switches off (immediately), with everything correctly wired (as described in the user's manual, ie the terminator at the right terminal). Once I pulled off the terminator, everything "seems" to get working (I get power on OUTPUT, PVs are powering correctly the system and charging the batteries as expected; everything are allright in Ve.configure, Victron.Connect and VRM Portal). Last two months, I got about 500kWh (prod ca. 600kWh, consumption ca. 500kWh). As it begins to work, I do not go further (on trying to fix)

Edit. : I got the battery pack connected to one BMS-Can port, Multiplus to one Ve.Bus port, 2 MPPTs to 2 Ve.Direct port, router to LAN port. Other ports of the Cerbo are empty.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Manda commented ·

@Manda

Do you plug the terminator into the VE.Bus port (where the MultiPlus is connected)?
It is a VE.Can terminator. The VE.Bus don't have to be terminated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Manda avatar image Manda Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

So there it is… I think that the first time I connected the battery pack on the first VE-Can and the terminator on the second, and the Multi switched off. Now the battery pack is attached to BMS-Can port: the things work. So the question now, is: should I modify the wiring?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Manda commented ·

@Manda

Can you please make a picture of you wiring and where you plugged the terminator?

0 Likes 0 ·
Manda avatar image Manda Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

16077092367411103251142.jpg

the blue cable goes to the battery pack. The first time I plugged it in the next port (right) and a terminator just after.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

normally there are two terminators, one at the start and one at the end, this gives a balanced Can Bus , NOW somtimes terminators can be inbuilt into units, so check for that. otherwise if you only have one then something else is wrong

2 |3000