SOC keeps decreasing and remains at 0%

Hello everybody,

My experimental installation is composed of :

• 1x SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 150-60
  • 1x 60Ah 12.8V Battery from Victron energy
  • 1x Venus GX
  • 1x BMV 712 Smart

img-0004.jpg

I have an issue with the SOC that keep decreasing and now remains at 0%, even if the charge controller is in “bulk” mode. In facts, I tried to let the battery charging for a long time and I synchronized the SOC at 100% but it decreased just after slowly to 0%. I also checked that my shunt was correctly wired and there are no other wires than the battery on the “only battery” side of the shunt. So I guess that the shunt is not the problem.

Does anyone know how could I keep the SOC synchronized? I tried to modify the Tail current, Peukert exponent and the charge time detection as followed :

img-0006.png

Do you think that I have to re-adjust those parmaters ?

Here is the SOC remains at 0% :

1607423697977.png

Thanks a lot for your help !

Have a good day !

Justin

BMV Battery MonitorSOC
1607423697977.png (69.8 KiB)
img-0006.png (222.9 KiB)
img-0004.jpg (2.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Hi.

I know you have, but double check your shunt wiring! And direction of current flow.

secondly. Have you calibrated the shunt to zero amps? - you need to do this with absolutely nothing flowing in our out. Preferably the loads are disconnected.

I would also reset to factory defaults to start off a fresh.

Had this on an install when a customer fiddled and then his SOC ran to zero. But batt was full!

let us know how you get on

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justinp avatar image
justinp answered ·

Hello jwfrary,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The SOC finally increased yesterday to 20% and the MPPT state turned to the “absorption” mode. So, as you said I think that the battery is in fact nearly full.

I will try to disconnect the loads and calibrate the shunt to 0 amps like you advised me. I also asked to my Victron supplier that told me to keep adjusting the BMV parameters (tail current, charged voltage..) so it could keep synchronized.

I'll let you know if I manage to get the SOC synchronized with my real battery level of charge.

Have a good day,

Justin

1 comment
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

@JustinP I have found that really the default values work pretty well out of the box unless it’s a pretty big bank say 600 ah upwards or out of the ordinary batts like the huge 2v and 6v one.

It’s always interesting to know the solution so please do post it when you get there. Or come back with more info!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic