question

offroadflow avatar image
offroadflow asked

Maximum recommended difference volt IN and OUT (MPPT)

Hello!

I'm not sure about a new installation I gonna do in 2 weeks.

24V system, but what solar controller to choose..? Entering with 2 panels in series and almost 80V or better all parallel with around 38V?

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you in advance for ANY help here!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as a general rule if the panels cant be affected by shade then connect in series so the volts are as high as they will go with out going over the MPPT max volt limit as you have not mentioned what the mppt model is it could be 75 or 100 or 150 or 250 or now 450 volts

do not exceed the voltage thats nominated and its the open circuit voltage of the panels you need to worry about OCV . it does not mattery what the battery voltage is the MPPT will autoadjust, or you can setit using the bluetooth app if its a smartsolar unit.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·

Thank you for your quick answer.

I had the case with three 90W panels in series on a 100/30 and 12V system and it was never charging with more than 160W on a normal day (200W max on a misty, but bright day). No shade, direct sunlight, 80° angle. When I switched to one big 330W panel it charged at full capacity. Therefore my doubts now...

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B offroadflow commented ·

test your panels. on each panel is a plate it tells you its specs. check open circuit voltage. then short the two wres togeather then with a dc clamp meter measure the amps it should be close to spec. or the joining wires are two small or there is a bad connection in the joins. lots of reasons for low output. very unlikely to be the reg. working voltage times amps is the watts this should work out to be 90 watt, if not then theres the reason. you also have not provided the panel specs as if they are 38 volt panels then the OCV is to high for the reg when in full sunlight if connected in series. and the wire size you nare using maybe to small if connected in series. I dont know the answer.

also as you have tested the reg with just one panel then the reg is fine. so I would be looking at faulty panel or wiring

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow Paul B commented ·

The reg is working, BUT had problems with the prior installation.

Please check out my post from earlier this year for more details. That thread got cold before actually solving the issue (therefore I had to change the panels)...

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/19586/mppt-10030.html

0 Likes 0 ·