question

offroadflow avatar image
offroadflow asked

MPPT 100/30 not producing full power

Hello!

In my caravan I've got three 90w panels (36 cells each) in series on a 100/30 MPPT, but the best I've ever seen was 200W on a foggy and bright day. Else it never goes above 150/160w peak.

What could be the problem..?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Flow

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi,

this depends on many things. Do you only charge your battery or do you have additional loads? What battery type do you have? Do you have mounted your panels in optimal angle? Do you have partial shading? Temperature?

Whats the panels voltage on peak wattage?

Regards,

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·

Thanks for your answer!

No angle, flat on roof with about an inch of vent space in between frame and roof. Not the first installation I did - normally I've got much better results.

Voltage from the panels around 56V. All three panels producing same amount of V and A (tested).

Battery was a normal lead acid 250Ah. Now changed for an AGM of same size. No change...

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image
offroadflow answered ·

A pity this got lost in space.
I even asked in another topic about the same problem, but nobody was pulling through til a real solution.
Guess it just happens with a few panels, but i also think that not only me stumbled upon this glitch...

2 |3000

gro avatar image
gro answered ·

What is the voltage on your battery?

Once the voltage get up so that the charger knows it is full the charger will take less power from the panels as there is nowhere for the power to go.

1 comment
2 |3000

offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·

I know.

But even with a half discharged battery it would not charge with full panel power.

Rare incident indeed...

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image
offroadflow answered ·

....and this as well got simply forgotten.

It's a pity that special problems just die without actually solving them and therefore being able to learn for future products.

Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@offroadflow

This isn't a "special" problem, in fact it's quite common. But it's unanswerable as you've provided no panel detail whatsoever.

My own panels are lucky to provide half their rated capacity at this time of the year. I know the reasons and don't complain. It's rarely the mppt in any installation that causes this, and it's not in mine either.

0 Likes 0 ·