question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Can one use Tank level sensor as a current senor

I have 2 lithium strings with one BMV 702 and would like to monitor current in a single string to make sure the two stings are sharing current appropriatly . Was thinking of using a Hall effect sensor and feeding its voltage output into a Tank level input on venus. What is the Tank level input voltage transfer function Vin to Tank level ? Any other suggestions tomeasure a thestring current?

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Analog tank inputs expect a resistive sender of either 0-180 or 240-30 ohms pulled up internally to 5 volts with 680 ohms. Current flows INTO the sender from the Venus device.

1607297087916.png

1607297087916.png (101.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @merle.peter@gmail.com

I think you can better try to use the temperature inputs, as I think they have a wider input voltage range in the software (and are linear on voltage input)

Tank level inputs are for reading a resistance, so output is not linear to voltage input.

2 |3000

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Thanks, yes I see from circuit diagram that there is a pull up resistor and voltage range around 1.2 V or so. I thought temp range might be mo relimited as as it reads voltage in Kelvin from 100K = 1 Volt I suspect but must check

2 |3000