question

valden avatar image
valden asked

MPPTs not connecting to Cerbo after Firmware v2.60 install

DVCC has been working well in our new yacht for the last week. Yesterday we saw a notification on the GX Touch 50 which said we needed to do a firmware update.

281d3d75-a1d1-4b13-a3eb-5542e6427c61.jpeg

I connected the Cerbo to the Internet via my iPhone’s Wi-Fi hotspot and upgraded to firmware version 2.60. Since then the three MPPTs have been missing from the GX Touch 50 display. Connecting to them via VictronConnect and Bluetooth shows that they have the latest firmware installed.

I have tried rebooting the Cerbo as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the USB connections to the MPPTs without success.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to make the MPPTs appear on the GX touch 50 display once again? As far as I can tell the MPPTs are working (when there is sunlight) and are charging the batteries directly, though I do not know if they are being controlled by DVCC. I expect not.

Thanks for any clues.

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You wrote that you have connected the MPPTs via USB.
Do you have connected them to a USB-Hub that is connected to the USB port right next to the HDMI port?
If so you have to switch the USB port, the USB right next to the HDMI has been disabled for data communication in one of the last updates, it is now only to power the GX touch 50.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/07/13/venus-os-v2-57-cerbo-gx/

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thank you Matthias. This fixed the problem. My installer used the USB port next to the HDMI port for the active cable carrying the signal from the three MPPTs. Now, for the first time we can see all three MPPTs! Yay. :-) My next challenge is to figure out the easiest way to program the Multiplus, but that’s a question for another question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

turn the DVCC off for the time being , I think its saying that the Multi or the quattro is on a old version of its firmware and needs to be upgraded for the DVCC to work with the new 2.60 FW in the GX device.

I think by turning the DVCC off then the MPPTS may reapear. also try a redetect as well. this is found under the inverter and the advance select page in settings on the GX device

Hope this is of help

2 comments
2 |3000

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thanks for this info Paul.

Yes, I would like to check the MultiPlus, it’s firmware and its settings. I will read the manuals again, but what’s the easiest way to do that? I have an iPhone and an iPad - both internet capable. I recall reading some input, from Daniel I think, that only Android smartphones (or laptops in general) can talk with Multis. Hmmm.
If I buy a new laptop, by what means can it connect to the Multi? I think a custom cable is needed ...?
Why are the Multis so hard to deal with?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B valden commented ·

you need a MK3 and a laptop in preference, to do a firmware update,

a lot of other adjustments can now be done with a MK3 and a smart phone but you do need a adapter to convert your smart phones USB to the standard larger usb, this will now also allow you to upgrade the firmware as well but only if its a stand alone unit, however to do this there is a password required and you will need to contact your dealer for that password

0 Likes 0 ·