question

iand avatar image
iand asked

Victron support for CANopen protocol as well as NMEA2000?

As I'm rapidly finding out, there's quite a lot of equipment out there (alternator controllers, battery management systems, motor controllers suitable for electric/hybrid boats...) which are crying out to be integrated into an electrical system using a central controller/display like the Cerbo GX, but which use CANopen as a protocol not the (closed, pay-to-license) NMEA2000.

At the moment there seems to be no way of connecting these into a Victron-based system, so everything needs its own separate display/control system -- which goes completely against the aim of the Cerbo GX, as well as adding to cost/complexity/panel space.

Does anyone know of a way of doing this, or whether CANopen is likely to be supported directly in the future by the Cerbo GX? There seems no technical reason that this isn't possible, indeed it should be quite simple, and these are products that Victron don't make so there isn't a direct commercial conflict in doing so...

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

If this isn't supported (or going to be ) directly, how about using an NMEA2000 to CANopen gateway like this? Does this allow CANopen devices to be displayed/controlled on a Cerbo GX?

http://www.adfweb.com/home/products/NMEA2000_Conveters.asp

www.adfweb.com/home/products/details.asp?tid=HD67250-A4

nmea2000-canopen.png

nmea2000-canopen.png (136.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zen avatar image zen commented ·
Did you have any luck with this? Shame no one is engaging with this topic. My boat has a Venus and Multiplus system with solar and 10 kwh 48v lithium battery. In addition, I'm looking at installing a 96v battery system, and 3 sevcon Gen 4 size 6 driving 2 electric motors and a generator. I'm keen to get Victron talking to Sevcon.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic