question

iand avatar image
iand asked

Cerbo GX and Sevcon Gen 4 motor controllers

Does anyone know if these will work together, so the Cerbo GX + Touch 50 can be used to display motor drive information like rpm/current/power/temperature? The controllers use the CANopen protocol over the bus, does the Cerbo support this?

[same question for Curtis SE controllers, also CANopen]

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @IanD

this is not supported.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Thanks Daniel. Can you answer my other question about CANopen support generally, or is the answer to this also "not supported"?

1 comment
2 |3000

I'll move this topic to the 'modifications' area, as that is where these questions are better in place.

0 Likes 0 ·
eliott avatar image
eliott answered ·

Hi! As @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) said it it is not supported but it is definitely already been done at least for Oceanvolt. (I don't know what type of Sevcon controllers they use)

In recent distributions it has been included in the standard software, so even if that doesn't suit you out of the box, it should not be hard to change:

https://bitbucket.org/oceanvolt/dbus_motordrive/src/master/

1 comment
2 |3000

That is pretty cool!

0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Thanks eliott. It just seems strange that this is something that presumably Victron could support easily (CANopen has standard profiles for motor controllers, Sevcon and Curtis and others all use this) and would presumably be in increasing demand with the growth in electric boats.

At the moment every drive supplier has to provide their own (expensive, needs development and support, all different) display/controller, which seems crazy if a Cerbo GX/Touch 50 (which can do the job easily and integrate the results with other data) is already installed.

I wonder if anyone at Victron is either reading this or thinking about the problem? @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic