question

jboynes avatar image
jboynes asked

BP-100 E1 short circuit warning if turned on with small load

I just installed a new BP-100 on a boat with 500Ah 12V AGM battery bank. Wiring is battery bank -> main battery switch -> 100A breaker -> BP-100 -> main sub-panel. System worked OK before installing the BP-100. Load is <2A, all electronics (telemetry, alarms, meters).

With no load connected the unit powers on OK.

If the output is connected when it is powered on, then it shows an E1 short circuit code.

If the output is connected after it has powered on, no code is displayed and the main panel powers up. If the 100A breaker is turned off then on, E1 is displayed again; the same if the remote switch on the BP-100 is used to turn it off and on.

It seems like the problem occurs if the unit is turned on with any load whereas it is OK if the load is added later. Has anyone seen anything like this behaviour? Should I suspect the unit?

[update] I temporarily installed the unit next to the battery hard wired with 40cm #2 cable and initially had the same problem. I then tried loading it by turning on the fridge with its 5A motor load and found it would start when I closed the remote's contacts. Turning off the fridge (returning to just the meter loads), it continued to start; this is back to the same loading as before when it wouldn't start. I plan to monitor to see if this remains consistent.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You have installed the negative connection to pin 4 thats the middle one on the one that has 3 pins in it. Just double checking the obvious, as you did not mention that connection in your description.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jboynes avatar image
jboynes answered ·

Yes, the negative connection is installed.

Thanks

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Try and isolate all the loads one at a timer, until you find the item thats causing it.

thats all I could suggest at this stage

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think the BP100 might be too far away from the battery + terminal. You have a main switch and then a breaker and all the wiring inbetween which is probably causing enough Voltage drop to set it off.

The first paragraph of the installation manual says:

Installation
1. The BatteryProtect (BP) must be installed in a well-ventilated area and preferably close (max 50 cm) to the battery (but, due to possible corrosive gasses not above the battery!).
Voltage drop over a long or undersized cable between the battery plus and the BP may result in a short circuit alarm when startingup the load, or unexpected shutdown.

Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Battery-Protect-12V-24V-65-A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-SE-DE-PT-ES-IT.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

jboynes avatar image jboynes commented ·

There is approx 150cm of 2/0 from the battery + to the switch, 10cm of #2 to the breaker and 20cm of #2 to the BP-100. The length of run from the battery is needed to route the cable out of the battery compartment, and moving the BP-100 closer would mean putting it inside which I was trying to avoid. I was not expecting voltage drop with those cable sizes.

I will try moving the BP-100 closer to the battery. Will there be any issues placing it in the compartment at the same level as the batteries (not above)?

0 Likes 0 ·