question

noia avatar image
noia asked

Color Control GX stopped working, no SOC on my EasySolar 24/3000

Hi all,Recently my Color Control GX unit has stopped working giving any readings about the SOC and energy leves used on my system.

I can still use the mobile app on my phone and there everything seems to be fine.

All system is updated with the current latest software and firmware patches.
Tried flashing the CCGX unit by inserting a MicroSD card on the slot on the bottom to no avail.

I suspect the data connection of the CCGX unit and or the battery monitor cable have a defect.
Since on the mobile app I can get readings via bluetooth.

Any ideas where to look for? Do I need to open up the Easy solar and check for bad connections? Which ones? Any specific dipswitch settings I might have overlooked?

System:
5x300W Canadian Solar panels
EasySolar 24/3000
4x Victron 220Ah Gel Batteries in 2x24v banks

20201130-154129.jpg

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Noia

We had something similar happen on an easy solar. We had the gx unit replaced under warranty and all was well afterwards.

If you enter the devices menu do you see any data from the solar charge controller there?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
noia avatar image
noia answered ·

Both the internal MultiPlus and smart solar show up in the devices menu.

The unit is installed in an overland expedition vehicle used as full time home currently located in Spain, the Smart Solar Unit has been bought via a retailer in the Netherlands. I've already had it send back to Victron once before about a year ago to replace the Smart Solar unit because it was malfuntioning.

Unless it's possible to post the CCGX unit separate unfortunately it's not possible to send the whole thing back because it would leave me without power plus it will be be expensive to post such a heavy unit internationally.

I'm a bit dissapointed in the so called 'for life' quality Victron advertises their products with as I had quite some trouble with my easysolar unit unfortunately.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spudgun avatar image spudgun commented ·

Something similar happened where the MPPT first disappeared from the screen. Then the next day there was no data being displayed as in the below image.

easysolar-colour-control-screen-blank.jpg

Not too sure what fixed the issue as tried numerous things and then all of a sudden the MPPT came back and all the data came back. The unit had been working fine for about 2 years before this happened.

Tried powering on and off numerous times.

Disconnected and reconnected the VE.Direct cable from the MPPT a few times.

Charged the batteries up with a generator, they were low because the MPPT stopped charging.

Held down together the two single buttons on the front of the Colour Control. Left it on the screen that came up, went outside for a while and when came back everything was back to normal.

I'm sorry that I don't have specific details to help you, it was just pure luck that got this unit working again.

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

I would power the system down. Open the Easy solar to get at the ColorGX then disconnect the cables and reconnect them. it is possible that the cables have come loose. Once done power everything back on and see if it all comes back online.

2 |3000