question

kiko avatar image
kiko asked

MultiPlus Trickle Charging in combination with Orion Tr Smart

Hi,

we have a standard MultiPlus 24V installation with Lithium batteries (24V) in a truck camper (very similar to the Victron van install, but 24V). To charge while driving, we are using an Orion Tr Smart autodetecting if the engine is running. So far, everything works fine.

Now, I was wondering, if I can use the trickle charge output of the MultiPlus to charge the starter batteries during longer phases of not driving? We are using a cooling box in the drivers cab, that I can't directly connect to the house batteries...

- Is the trickle charge output a proper charger with settings for the starter battery type?

- Would the Orion Tr Smart detect trickle charging as an engine start, due to the increase in voltage? Am I creating a loop this way?

- What would be an alternative?

Thank's so much for you input!

orion-tr smartstarter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
d-winterburn avatar image
d-winterburn answered ·

I had the same question. In my setup (wired up in my shop before installing in my van) I have set the threshold for Orion Tr Smart at 13.9Vdc so the isolated 13.7Vdc from the MultiPlus trickle charge will not trigger the DC to DC charger. Adding voltage to the Orion Tr input terminals via a test power supply will then trigger the Orion Tr to startup. The moment the voltage drops below 13.9Vdc the Orion units (I have 2 x 30A) will shut down. Seems to work fine in the shop so far. Hope this helps.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kiko avatar image kiko commented ·

Thanks a lot for your reply! Today, I simply connected the trickle charge output of the MultiPlus (measured 26,4V, 4A) with a 5A fuse to the + input of my Orion Smart TR. This way, I have a connection between my starter battery + and the trickle charge output.

This does not trigger the engine start detection, as you described. The configured engine start voltage is by default, for a normal alternator, 28V. Shutdown ist detected at 27V. So this is all above the 26,4V of the trickle output.

Can anyone see problems with this setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
ironman avatar image ironman commented ·

Hi, how do you set a constant voltage on the trickle charge output? I have checked the voltage during different stages of charging the leisure batteries and it matches the main charging voltage throughout, so during absorption I was seeing 14.6v on the trickle charge output.

0 Likes 0 ·
trougnouf avatar image trougnouf ironman commented ·

I have the same question as ironman.

I would have the VE.Bus BMS's "charge disconnect" control the Orion-Tr from starter battery to LifePO4 battery, so I guess this replaces the Orion's engine detection mechanism and that I would be relying on the Orion's start/stop voltage settings?

If the MultiPlus-II trickle charge voltage gets to be as high as the alternator, then that's an impossible setup.

edit: marking the question as unanswered

edit:

what I can think of is to use a kind of AND-gate which takes the BMS' "charge disconnect" signal and the ignition so that the Orion-Tr activates when these two combine to send a high signal to its H port. If I understand correctly the engine detection mechanism (minimum voltage threshold) is active as long as the L port is tied to ground (so this would work when the ignition is on and the LifePO4 battery is not overcharged, and a high voltage is applied on the starter battery, this would be the alternator because it wouldn't make sense for 220v input and trickle charge to be applied when the ignition is on and the boat is ready to go).

Another way could be to deactivate the autodetect feature by tying the L port to a positive voltage, and using the "charge disconnect" signal switched with a manual switch (that should be toggled when the engine is on) on the H port.

Are either of these valid solutions and/or the simplest way?

0 Likes 0 ·
jelle avatar image jelle commented ·

Thanks for the information!
How did you connect the trickle charge cable to the Orion input cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
henri-bergius avatar image
henri-bergius answered ·

I just installed an Orion Tr Smart in combination with a higher output alternator on our boat. We have the MultiPlus trickle charge wire connected to the start battery.

I can confirm that at least with the default settings when MultiPlus goes into absorption, this is detected by Orion as an “engine start” and would cause it to start charging. I added a wire from the ignition switch to the remote port on the Orion to remedy this.

2 |3000