question

zapiens avatar image
zapiens asked

Multiplus Compact where do I connect to a computer

For the RJ-45 the documentation it says:

2x RJ45 connector for remote panel and/or parallel and 3-phase operation.

Nothing about protocol.

It then says about how to configure:

A MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) interface. Alternatively, the Interface MK2.2b (VE.Bus to RS232) can be used (RJ45 UTP cable needed).

I cannot from pictures/descriptions figure out exactly what cable to use and where to connect it.

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis answered ·

Hi!

You need an MK3 or MK2 accessory to connect to the multiplus (on the VE.BUS port). They are both connected to a usb port on your pc. after that you connect a UTP cable between the MK2 or MK3 and the multiplus.

Direct connection between the Multiplus and the PC with a UTP cable is not possible

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhon avatar image jhon commented ·

you will need to download and install some driver software for this cable when using with a Windows PC ,https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

MK 2 and Mk 3 both use Mk 2 driver .

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

MK3 manual.

Use an RJ45 networking cable between the MK3 and multi.

2 |3000

Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

If you are using a GX device, I have a CCGX but I 'think' they all work, you can register that with the Victron VRM portal and transfer configuration files online.

I also have a cable as described above which I would not want to be without but I find the config upload/download more conveniant much of the time.

Note that there things you cant do with this method but everything in VEConfigure works. (At leastI havent found any limitations yet)

Also note that some settings/changes require a reset, adding assistants for example, this turns off the inveter for a short period so having you network kit on a UPS helps.

Al

2 |3000

jhon avatar image
jhon answered ·

Hi , facing a similar issue trying to connect 2 x 12/1200 Phoenix compact inverters in parallel. Checking behind the face panel there are 2 x RJ45 sockets to the left of the positive 12 volt connection from the battery, the second one to the left of the first and sited a little higher, There is no apparent identification on these to two ports. I assume one is for a connection to a MK2 interface cable to connect to a PC and the other to establish a parallel coms connection to the slave inverter. I have checked the online manual and there appears to be no mention on these 2 com ports. Can any one help in identifying which one is which? cheers jhon

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Both rj45 ports are identical, and interchangeable.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhon avatar image jhon commented ·

I received a new manual with the second 12/1200 Phoenix inverter and it has a diagram which indicates that the RJ45 port on the far left of the enclosure and sited slightly above the first COM port is for serial and SLAVE connections and the one below this and nearest to the DC input connections is the one used for establishing a connection to PC/Tablet or optional control panel , cheers

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic