question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Raspberry PI 4 software update

Is it possible to update Venus OS on Raspberry PI?

If so, can this be done via the on-line update? Right now I'm getting an error when checking for updates.

Or does the Venus OS update need to be done via memory stick?

Raspberry Pi
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Raspi4 Model updates:

Raspi4 B Ver 1.4 with 2GB still not operating after install of Venus 2.70.17

Still looking into a solution why this is? below from Raspi Org.

Quite often a board revision change is because a particular component is cheaper, or because the original component can no longer be purchased. The end result is no difference to the user. Don't get hung up on having the latest board revision. You are not getting more performance. As long as the board works, that is the correct metric to use.

There is a revision where the PCI EEPROM is removed as we moved the code into the firmware EEPROM instead, that reduced component count. Again, made no difference to the end user. That might have been 1.4.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Rob Duthie commented ·

Just a wild guess:

The main reason the v1.4 board exists is to support 8 GB of RAM, so my guess is there is a new memory management chip.

Venus OS artificially limits RAM to 1 GB for some reason even so something isn't "standard" in terms Raspberry PI in this area.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hi Kevin

When you buy a raspi4 in 2gb or 4gb you have no idea what Ver you are getting, so if building a system with raspi4 be aware that it wont work, as with the raspi3 all works OK up to venus 2.66, after that to ver 2.70 there are issues with no Analog IO page, USB canbus, i2C,SPI ports don't work anymore like Ver 2.66. But the internal Bluetooth works OK on version 2.70 now.

Since the Zeus upgrade from Rocko the issues have arised?

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Kevin

Have success in getting the raspi4 ver PCB 1.4 going now. Had to change some files in the u-boot folder.

Will update with details.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Rob Duthie commented ·
Is Venus I/O all functional? Last I heard from @mvader (Victron Energy), he was able to get the RPI4 to boot but some of the I/O didn't work. If so, this is great news.

I can test this on the v1.1 and 1.2 boards to make sure the same mods work there as well. Keep me posted.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi

Yes i am testing now all functions, i have just upated to ver 2.80.21 still OK it has now the bluetooth device listing for the ruuiv temp sensors etc.

I am about to try your gui mods to see what the effect is.

I will keep you posted.

Update:

USB ports missing no ttyUSBx

Serial ports missing ttySC0

Relays OK

VE direct nogo due to USB port missing ttyUSBx

Most of the Gui mods work OK until i get the USB going i can't check the PV inverter input control etc.

Touch screen OK, no touch control, VRM OK, local control via app control OK, Via PC control OK.

Note. I am using the old raspi 3 config file to make it run which might cause some of the issues?

Regards
Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh answered ·

Online update works fine for Rpi 3B+ in fact that’s about the only way I do it.

If you have any projects or configurations such as touch screen drivers, adc drivers etc. Installed their configuration will be lost. So most of us using Rpi s have scripts stored on the /data directory to re install any of our customisations.

The only thing I find is that Victron roll more and more of the necessary Rpi drivers into their releases so my scripts check if the drivers they are trying to install are already there.

some more notes in one of my posts here

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/61933/whats-happening-with-venus-260-what-did-my-system.html

Rpi4 I can’t comment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I guess it matters which PI. I'm running a Raspberry PI 4 and it turns out there is no feed for the PI 4. (title updated for clarity)

This post:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/48600/raspberry-pi-4-update.html

Provides a link to the full image but not a software update file.

So unless someone else has more up to date information I guess the answer is no to any form of Venus OS update.

2 |3000

dirkmuc avatar image
dirkmuc answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Not ideal but at least there's a way. Hopefully this link will be updated as new versions come along.

Sadly, I would have used a PI 3 if I'd realized the PI 4 is so far behind the others.

0 Likes 0 ·
federico993 avatar image
federico993 answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

The link in that post does not work.

I haven't heard anything about 2.70 efforts. There is a 2.62~2 but don't think there's a PI 4 version of it. I do see 2.62~2 images for PI 2 (and 3).

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey all,

We're working on v2.70 behind the scenes; and it included rpi4 support (and bluetooth and some other changes as explained elsewhere).

Currently we're field testing v2.62; once thats finished, we will start field testing v2.70.

Appreciate your patience!

Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Matthijs. I didn't realize you were that close. Excellent work. Sounds like you'll have PI 4 in the feeds when I need it.

My system is rather limited but not mission critical. I would be willing to test anything I can.

System:

• Raspberry PI 4 2GB
  • "Official Raspberry PI 7" touchscreen"
  • Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-50 120V
  • SmartShunt 500 amp
  • Blue Solar 100/30 rev2
  • 2 100 AH Battleborn LFP batteries in parallel
  • 1 MK3-USB
  • 2 VE.Direct to USB interfaces
  • SeeLevel N2K tank sensor
  • My tank repeater software to split the above to 3 tank objects
  • CANable Pro USB CANbus interface