question

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht asked

Raspberry Pi 4 Update

Are there any updates for Raspberry Pi 4? The last I've been able to find was 2.40~42 from November.

Raspberry Pi
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

No, that is the latest one available for the rpi4.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob avatar image Rob Marc Elvery commented ·

This v2.60 update appears to be password protected at login. Any ideas Marc Elvery?

0 Likes 0 ·
mstumpf123 avatar image mstumpf123 Rob commented ·

just trying to get it working and there appears to be a default password. does anyone know the id/pwd?

0 Likes 0 ·
jeroend avatar image jeroend mstumpf123 commented ·

The password will be whatever you set it to be. You need to do that first though. Sounds like a catch 22? Connect the pi to the network with a cable and restart it. Then, on the same network, open the victron connect app eg on the smart phone and search for local devices. It should appear and you can access the gui to set a supervisor password. After that you can access the command line by entering that password.

0 Likes 0 ·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ jeroend commented ·

It should appear in the Windows Networking (or any other upnp client) as well btw. Then just click on the it, and it should open the remote console.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, the situation wrt what works and what doesnt wrt raspberrypis changes as time progresses.

the authoritive place to check for compatibility is here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·
Worth noting that global supply of 3B+ seems to have been depleted and ETA on new stock is 12+ months from now in Q4 2022.

3B does not work with PoE, so Pi 4 is it for now. Will take a look at what we can contribute to making it work.

0 Likes 0 ·
arve avatar image
arve answered ·

good luck getting an answer on this, I have asked the same several times... no one seems to answer this question, I'm running 2.40~42 also

2 |3000

Innar Järva avatar image
Innar Järva answered ·

Yep, its the latest image. Its said Rpi4 is not supported, but it actually works great. I have direct battery 24v>5v power supply for Rpi4 and connections to devices go over USB. My system has 150/45 MPPT with MultiPlus 24/3000/70 and there have been no issues at all. Even if network is down for a day, it keeps records and updates VRM once network is back etc, so all this functionality works.

I tried to get connected over bluetooth version 4 usb dongle, it connects from terminal to the equipment, but the frontend cannot see it at all... Rpi internal bluetooh version 5 is not seen at all by rfkill list, and even if you modprobe or play in /etc/bluetooth folder does not help any. Its said that bluetooth needs major work, so currently USB is the only connection method that works. Anyway the november version is stable enough for me and going from bt to usb solved everything :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht commented ·

I have it up and running just fine, and you're right it does work great, but I'd really like to take advantage of some of the features that are in newer versions, such as node-red.

I'm looking at attempting to build some new images myself, but i'm not familiar with bitbake, nor with building from multiple repositories at once.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob avatar image
Rob answered ·

I would be interested to know if anyone has the 7” touchscreen working on the RPI 4 yet.

2 |3000

mhuusko avatar image
mhuusko answered ·

How can I login to my pi4 with Venus os image to enable wifi?

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Root access is disabled by default. Instructions are the same as other devices:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access

which needs to be done from the GUI (either on a local display or via the web page).

Root access is disabled with a Venus software update. Ssh keys survive a software update so setting up ssh keys is a really good idea.

That's somewhat of a catch 22 if you don't have a wired ethernet connection or a local display for the GUI.

If you have a local display but the PI is currently running headless (no local GUI), another option would be to mount the SD card on a computer. From there, you can remove the /root/etc/headless file so the GUI will run locally. Raspberry PI OS temporarily on the PI, or running Ubuntu as a virtual machine on PC/Mac would give you ext4 access. Utilities to mount ext4 file systems are also available for Mac OS and Windows. I found one for Mac OS. It'll run free for a few days then is $40:

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/

Be cautious of free ext4 utilities. Some are read-only and others may not be stable.

Good luck

0 Likes 0 ·
t-rex avatar image t-rex Kevin Windrem commented ·

@Kevin Windrem, the headless file which should be removed (

in my case I just rename it with

mv /etc/venus/headless /etc/venus/headless.off

)

is no longer in the directory you mentioned.

As my command line already spoiled, it moved to /etc/venus.

best regards Rainer

0 Likes 0 ·