question

linus avatar image
linus asked

SmartShunt % reading is off when charging

Hello, I have a small all Victron off grid system. Everything works great except for the smart shunt % reading. Pretty sure my settings are all correct unless there's something not mentioned in the manual.

After fully charging and then draining the battery, the percentage seems very accurate, not a problem. But the next day when it's been charging just for a short while I've noticed the percentage going up way too quickly, it could be at 100% after an hour of barely having any sun, even if there was it would be nowhere near that (2x 325w panels with a 25.6v 90Ah battery bank).

Yesterday when I went to sleep it was at 93% after turning off the power and today when I woke up, not having had any sun yet(0Wh charge), the % is now 98%?!(pictures)

What can I do to troubleshoot this? Here's how everything is put together(no solar connected) and my Smartshunt battery settings.img-20201031-133802.jpgscreenshot-20201119-064734.jpg

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Linus

The unit may be synchronizing prematurely to 100%. It will do that in one single step. Using your figures, that will occur when battery V is > 26.4V and the charge current is < 4% (3.6A) for a period of 3 minutes.

At night it won't be the charge current or time, but you could look at raising that 26.4V somewhere above your lithium's standing V and below the charge V.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

linus avatar image linus commented ·

Much appreciated, I'll give it a try as soon as I can!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic