question

bdale avatar image
bdale asked

48v vs 24v off-grid US

Hello all. Looking for advice as I build my off-grid system for my tiny home. My current dilemma is that my batteries can be configured as 24v or 48v systems, and not many of the 48v systems are configured directly for US, split phase.

Option 1 is use the batteries at 24v and use an inverter/charger(quattro probably), adding a second unit for split phase in the near future.

Option 2 would be use the batteries at 48v, with a EU inverter/charger run it at 240v, plus an autotransformer.

Is having a 48v system worthwhile in terms of longevity and efficiency to justify the slightly more complicated system? I'm also not sure how I could charge my pack with a 120v inverter generator through a 240v configured inverter, when I need generator backup. I like the idea of having the autotransformer in the long term anyway to balance loads for split phase when I use tools, but the AC charging from a generator is the biggest unknown to me right now.

Generator48v battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mt-geek avatar image
mt-geek answered ·

autotransformer-1.jpgI am using 48v system. there is less I/R lost on a 48v system. You can use a 120v quattro and wire in an autotransformer

autotransformer-1.jpg (689.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop