question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

Quattro 48/5000 Master/Slave Configuration

Hi.

I have five Quattros installed in my catamaran: each side has 2 Quattro 48V 5KW units in a master/slave arrangement and I have a 12V 5KW Quattro for domestic use. Each side also has a Fischer Panda (FP) 8000i generator, each of which has a "clean up inverter" that fine-tunes the generator output before feeding it to the Quattros.

The issue I am having is on the port side - I have burned out 3 FP inverters in the past year and FP are now saying that the cause is the master/slave arrangement of the Quattros. They cite this example (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/23230/two-multiplus-in-cascade.html) as evidence that Victron will not support this arrangement and are basically saying the fault is in the design. However, the example is (I think) of two independent inverters linked in series (hence the "cascade" description) and is not the same as a properly configured master/slave arrangement.

The starboard side is exactly the same configuration and has been running perfectly.

Could someone from Victron please confirm that a master/slave configuration is supported so I can go back to FP to further investigate the cause of the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eyacht avatar image
eyacht answered ·

Whether you call it master/slave or parallel operation, the question is to confirm such a configuration is supported by Victron. I would assume it is since there are configuration instructions to do so but can you confirm this please?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @eYacht

I think the confusion comes from your term 'master / slave' were we call it 'parallel operation'

2 |3000