question

markaos avatar image
markaos asked

12/250 inverter red and green lights slow blinking

300w 24v solar panel to 100/75 victron mppt 12v 130Ah battery & 12/250 victron inverter.

Any time I add a load ( small air pump or 60w table lamp) the inverter cuts out and the red and green lights slowly blink. Signalling low voltage, I've checked with a multimeter from mppt load output reading 13.8v

As you can guess I'm lacking in understanding to solve this issue and any support will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Marcus

MPPT ControllersPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
sean avatar image
sean answered ·

Have you tested the battery ?

Perhaps leave it disconnected for 12 hours and measure the resting voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Do you have the Inverter connected to the Load Output of the MPPT?
That is most likely the problem. The load output of the MPPT cannot deal with high surges that an inverter will likely impose on it. It's designed for lights and low surge loads.
Try connecting the inverter directly to the battery if you haven't done that already.

2 comments
2 |3000

markaos avatar image markaos commented ·

I hav'nt had anymore time to sort out the problem I'm incurring but surely the inverter can power a 39w diaphragm air pump. I had intended to not to use batteries & use a voltage converter but again this didn't work. I only really want the pump to work when there is sufficient sunshine, the lake just needs a secondary source of water movement. I've got a 200w polycrystalline panel, 100/75 victron charge control & victron 12/250 inverter

0 Likes 0 ·
markaos avatar image markaos commented ·

With the inverter connected directly to the battery how do I set parameters for the inverter to turn on and off? Is this done in the MPPT VICTRON CONNect settings? Seems to me like I'm going to need to purchase something else. I was hoping that I could use the MPPT to set when the inverter will turn on and off. This whole set up is for a off grid airation solution for a lake.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you can also download a Victron tool kit to your phone from the app store and this will tell you what the flashing lights mean

2 |3000

markaos avatar image
markaos answered ·

Hello again. I've mange to get my victron 12/250 inverter to work from the load output of victron 100/20 MPPT. I've got the bluetooth attachment for the inverter so I'm able to access it's settings.

What I'm struggling with is what settings to adjust to stop the MPPT turning off the load output on the MPPT once the sun goes down because once the sun comes

2 |3000

markaos avatar image
markaos answered ·

- back up I'd like the the inverter to start powering my 39w air pump to airate the lake. I've got two 120 ah batteries which are not brand new they were salvaged from an emergency lighting bank. They hold charge of over 13v over night. In the MPPT instructions it says about connecting load output of MPPT to left pin of remote port on the inverter. I've also seen victron sell a inverting or non inverting cable, is this what I may need?

Thanks in advance

1 comment
2 |3000

sean avatar image sean commented ·

What happens to the battery voltage when you put a load on it - perhaps a couple of 55w automotive light bulbs in parallel ?

0 Likes 0 ·
markaos avatar image
markaos answered ·

I'm reading through the instructions for my 100/20 MPPT and I quote 'Phoenix VE direct inverters can be controlled by connecting the left side connection of the remote control to the load output'. How is this configured between 100/20 mppt and a 12/250 Phoenix 'VE Direct inverter? I'm also getting annoyed with the low battery warning messages that keep popping up on victron connect app while looking at the inverters readout -

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual