question

arkadiusz-frydyada-de-piotrowski avatar image
arkadiusz-frydyada-de-piotrowski asked

Discharge scheduling

Hello,

How can I implement time scheduling for discharging in a Multiplus II GX?

Background: I want to use additional Battery-Inverter-Systems from other manufacturers in my household and I want to set charge- and discharge time frames for every single inverter.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

It can be done in ESS-mode with schduled charging. Define the time period when the discharge should not happen and set Stop on SOC level very low, lower than your charge level is at the moment. I have set discharge level to 50% so in this case Stop on SOC is below that.

1661251273391.png

Then it wont charge nor discharge on that period that was defined, just wait.

It's a kludge, not very intuitive user interface experience, but it works.

0 Likes 0 ·
1661251273391.png (18.9 KiB)
12 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Arkadiusz Frydyada de Piotrowski

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:acin_ignore_timer_using_ccgx_gen_start_stop_example

You may be able to adapt this idea to your needs? Maybe? If you get grid to disconnect then the batteries will discharge.

If it is the other inverters that you would like to discharge then use ac2 out and program a soc assistant to cut off their power.

Would need more info about your setup to see.

A simpler way for the others may also be timer switches or smart plugs with timers depending on how they are connected to the mains supply.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sega avatar image
sega answered ·

i want to discharge my batteries to grid on on scheduled Time - ist this possible? charging at scheduled time is possible - i like that feature very much... but i also need discharge possibility! would be great!

2 |3000

Chris Moller avatar image
Chris Moller answered ·

I too want to discharge my batteries to the grid at a scheduled time - this coming winter 2022-3 it's likely to be a very lucrative thing to do. Victron, can you add this feature?? With it, I'll be able to justify buying a bigger system and more batteries, so it's a good opportunity for you, too!

2 |3000

Bartłomiej Choroszczyński avatar image
Bartłomiej Choroszczyński answered ·

I am looking for a very similar solution. In recent months, there is a funny situation in Poland in which exporting solar energy to the grid is more profitable than charging batteries with it (increasing own consumption). I believe this situation will continue for a few more months. This is due to energy prices: you can sell solar energy more than you buy it.

Is it possible to change the ESS functionality to this way: Solar energy from DC-coupled MPPT's is being fed directly to the grid, no matter how big loads are or battery SOC. ?

Energy prices:
Import:

• 0,3 PLN/kWh --> 22:00 - 6:00 and 13:00 - 15:00
  • 0,7 PLN/kWh --> 6:00 - 13:00 and 13:00 - 22:00

Export

• 0,9 PLN/kWh --> All the time

Ideally, I would be able to charge the batteries during the hours when the energy is cheapest, then discharge the battery (or stay idle) when it is most expensive.

2 |3000

Josef Trpišovský avatar image
Josef Trpišovský answered ·

Hi there, any news/ideas on this topic? I think this could be useful for many of us.

2 |3000

silverfox avatar image
silverfox answered ·

I have implemented constant battery current scheduled discharge using Node Red running under Venus OS Large in my Cerbo GX, which is now the official release. I've been running my little program for 2 days now, and it runs perfectly. I'm amazed at the power of Node Red. I'm willing to send my little .json file to you privately if you want it. We are 120/240 V split phase here, so you will likely need to adapt my program to your situation.

I charge all day (ESS Scheduled charge) and then discharge at a constant rate in the afternoon/evening 16:00 to 21:00 o'clock. This taxes my battery the gentlest. I found no way to do this with ESS but its pretty easy with Node Red.

Once you start with Node Red, you'll see its potential. I chose to use basic Nodes only - no 'function' Nodes. (In Node Red, 'function nodes' contain Javascript code you write just for that node.) I did need to install two small, very basic nodes that did not come in the Victron node palette - 'Calculator' and 'Gate' nodes.

The other thing I love is that it runs on my Cerbo GX. After using my web browser to write the program, I don't need an external computer, Raspberry Pi, or anything like that to run it - just the Cerbo GX.

5 comments
2 |3000

larsea-dk avatar image larsea-dk commented ·
Hi

This is a great feature. I have for now just tried to set the grid setpoint to a negative value, which almost does the trick. It just do not work 100% since it do not fit some of my other coding. So I would alsolike to see the code, to be inspired on howto. Plaese forward to LEA(a)bkeng.dk

1 Like 1 ·
Bartłomiej Choroszczyński avatar image Bartłomiej Choroszczyński commented ·

I will be very grateful. My email is b.choroszczynski@enerp.pl. Today I even installed Venus OS Large on Cerbo and had a first look at it. Ideally to start implementing your solution!

0 Likes 0 ·
jameshoare1964 avatar image jameshoare1964 commented ·
If you are feeling philanthropic, I would really appreciate and welcome a view too to see what Victron bits in Node Red are used. I am in UK, and aim to import cheaper rate electricity is early hours of morning in winter, as not enough solar in winter period, and also in summer when I have too much to export at better paid times. I'm gradually getting into Node Red, (got it to work, and been through 3 tutorials) and was delighted it runs on my Cerbo with no need to buy a Rasberry. But there isnt much info out there. Hopefully as this is the way globally I think energy trading will go, it will become more available
0 Likes 0 ·
pkarypid avatar image pkarypid commented ·

Hello, Happy new year from Greece.

Could you please make some pass here also. Any working changes made by me I will sent it back to you.

pkarypid@gmail.com

Best Regards

Paul

0 Likes 0 ·
ronski avatar image ronski commented ·
Could you post a link so that I can download your file please, I don't want to post an email address on a public wbesite, thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
brookydave avatar image
brookydave answered ·

I too would be grateful for a copy of your json file for forced export, if its not too late. I have some experience controlling another make of inverter and my hot water system with node red, and find it very useful. Many thanks in anticipation dbrook100@yahoo.co.uk

2 |3000

ronski avatar image
ronski answered ·

I'm also looking for scheduled discharge. In the UK there are now quite a few tariff's where you can charge off peak, and discharge peak hours and get paid a lot more. I'm new to Victron and I'm really surprised this feature is missing, many other inverters have it, and some can even work with energy suppliers pricing systems to maximise the return.

2 |3000

markess avatar image
markess answered ·

Hi @SilverFox, I too implemented force discharge using Node-RED on the GX, but I did it using the ESS grid set-point setting. This means the battery load varies with the sun, which is not ideal. What node did you use to set a specific battery discharge power/current?

Thanks

2 |3000

silverfox avatar image
silverfox answered ·

I used ESS System Settings > Grid Set-Point (W). As the load and solar production vary, I adjust the set point every few seconds using some simple arithmetic. I'd be happy to email you my json if you want - just tell me your email address.

2 comments
2 |3000

ronski avatar image ronski commented ·
@SilverFox You do realise you can just attach it here don't you? Most people don't want to post an email address on a public forum.

Anyway I've written my own routine now which seems to be working well, and I will post it when I'm happy with it, and changed a few things so its easier for others to adapt to their system. Its rather intertwined with other flows at the moment. It takes into account PV production, AC loads, and has SOC cut off. It calculates to export at a certain wattage from the battery.

My only concern is changing the set point every few seconds, my routine is currently triggered every 15 seconds, it then calculates the new set point, but it will only update if the difference is bigger than another setting I have, and thus reduces how often the set point is changed. I've noticed it takes about 15 seconds for the system to change the grid discharge.

0 Likes 0 ·
felipe-acha-fort avatar image felipe-acha-fort commented ·

Hello, thanks for sharing! could you please send it to felipeacha@gmail.com ?

0 Likes 0 ·
markess avatar image
markess answered ·

Hi @SilverFox, thanks for the info. Yes I too have now implemented something similar in Node-RED. I read the battery current and adjust the grid set-point to keep it reasonably stable. I also use a battery SOC threshold to stop me draining the battery. I thought there may have been a different battery config available, but it seems not. Thanks

screenshot-20230728-100230.png

If anyone is interested in the flow I can share it. Email mark_nodered@fastmail.co.uk

2 |3000

ronski avatar image
ronski answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic