question

bcarmena avatar image
bcarmena asked

Odd behavior on Multiplus transfer switch

I have two new Multiplus 24/3000/70 units running in 180 split phase. When connected to shore power on the old lead acid battery bank these units worked without a hiccup. The battery bank has been upgraded to a new LiFePo bank with external VE Can BMS. The charge profiles have peen changed on the Multi's and they have been configured with an assistant for use with a two signal BMS unit for the time being. When coming back onto shore power the Multi's will not transfer and charge. Both L1 and L2 originally showed "out of phase" in VE Configure. I checked shore power, boat wiring and all was as should be right at the inlet of the Multi's. I re-flashed the firmware and the units will connect to the shore power and transfer/charge normally. When I alter the configuration for LiFePo and two signal BMS and send the config the units will no longer transfer and charge and show "out of phase" In the VE monitor. This persists even if I revert the settings back to default. The only way to get the units to work properly again is to re-flash the firmware. This unfortunately leaves me with incorrect charge profiles and no safeties on the system. This problem also persists with the two units isolated on the VE Bus network. Not sure where to go from here. I have reached out to my dealer on this but am awaiting a phone call. Anyone run into this before? I am hoping I am missing something simple but the "out of phase" error it obviously inaccurate as the system connects fine immediately after a firmware flash.

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

After a Firmware flash you would then have to re setup the two units as a split phase system, from your description it sounds like they are incorrectly configured, look into the ve bus Quick Configure program and follow those instructions. otherwise ask your victron dealer /installer to set them up for you. (This may incur a onsite fee)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bcarmena avatar image bcarmena commented ·

After the flash I reconfigure them in the configurator to run in split phase. At that point they connect and charge just fine. It is not until I make ANY change via veconfigure that they display this error. Any changes in VEconfigure have no affect on phase so why would they show a "Not in phase" error and why would returning settings to default not return them to a working state?

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

How do you program the "Two-signal BMS assistant"?

I recently had a problem in my 3-phase system when I programmed this assistant the wrong way.

You should not program second unit with the saved program from the first unit.

You have to program them separately and in the second unit enter that the BMS is connected to "another" unit.

More on this here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems#assistants

1 comment
2 |3000

bcarmena avatar image bcarmena commented ·

It does the same thing with no assistants loaded. A simple change in charge profile from default to Lithium Ion with no other changes causes it to read "Not in phase". Returning settings to default does not fix the issue. I have to reflash the units to get them to connect to shore power again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic