question

tariq avatar image
tariq asked

Easysolar II GX derating

my Easysolar II GX is installed inside my house, room temperature is around 25 degrees centigrade, the load is a 2 kW geyser plus about 200 watt house load,( total 2250 watts ), within 50 minutes, the inverter starts de-rating, is that normal,

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Tariq

Yes it is. The inverter will be generating it's own heat processing all that power. The fans should be on almost all the time while running that load. Are they running?

Is the unit a 3kva? And is there a lot of space around the unit for good air flow.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tariq avatar image
tariq answered ·

Hi Alexandra,

Yes, it is the 3 kVa Easysolar II GX, the fans are running constantly, the closest object to the inverter is about one meter, the unit is mounted inside the house.

Does Victron have any test results that the unit was designed to de-rate to 90 % in about 50 minutes, at a room temperature of around 25 degrees centigrade

Tariq

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Output-rating-operating-temperature-and-efficiency.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwipn8SK4-bsAhUOiFwKHfnpAaoQFjAAegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3eiAmARZRnCHednzNQ8t5w

Yes there is one. I don't think it is specific for your inverter but the principles are the same. In fact when we design systems we take these factors into consideration so that the user is not affected by derating.

It may be worth your while sizing the geyser element down to about 1500W. The Victron toolkit app also has a temperature derating section.

And the time derating is not a thing as that would be difficult to predict. Temperature derating is based on the inside of the unit temperature not ambient temperature.

0 Likes 0 ·