question

michael2019 avatar image
michael2019 asked

Three Phase Configuration using 4 Quattros

I currently have a 3 phase system using 3 units of 15KVA Quattros. I noticed an overload on a particular phase. In order to cushion the effect of this overload, can I add another 15KVA Quattro to that overloaded phase in parallel using VE Bus Configurator?

multiplus ve.bus3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
tunapower avatar image
tunapower answered ·

Hello Michael

That isn’t the preferred solution. It would be better to get your phases balanced better if at all possible?

If it is a single load that is the problem. Then you still have options. Ie if it’s a motor. It would be worth looking at soft starters or variable frequency drives.

Need a bit more info

Cheers.
tuna power

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

While I agree with @TunaPower’s suggestions, it is technically possible and programmable to have imbalanced number of parallel quattros on different phases.

HOWEVER there are some assumptions a made by the software when calculating power output of parallel systems, so you may find that the power readings on the GX and VRM are no longer as accurate.

It is working fine from a powering the loads perspective though, as long as the other rules of parallel system (such as equal and balanced DC wiring, and sufficent resistance on AC output, etc) are followed.

0 Likes 0 ·
michael2019 avatar image michael2019 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks. Your response is well appreciated and that resolves my plight.

0 Likes 0 ·
michael2019 avatar image michael2019 commented ·

Thanks. No other load balancing that can be done. It's a single phase load and sometimes resistive and inductive load on that particular phase. Shifting some loads off the remaining two phases to the overloaded phase while that phase is paralleled with another quattro will resolve my issue.

0 Likes 0 ·