question

Ari Kesti avatar image
Ari Kesti asked

CCGX slow/freeze too much connected to it?

Started to wonder how much the CCGX can cope with. I just expanded my system and now the values on the display wont update/change anymore. I have the following setup. 3 15 kVa Quattros 3 phase, 4 Smartsolar via Ve Direct (2 via USB hub), REC bms. Now i added a Bluesolar Ve.can and the display is super slow and wont update PV generation etc. After a while the values go blank. I tried to take out the end termination (Blue rj45) of the Bluesolar free port and values reappear. But after a while the panel goes blank and communication to the REC bms stops and the system shuts down.

Is the CCGX maybe too weak to handle everything? Before the expansion o always got an error message in the VRM portal saying that real time data is not available due to that the system is too busy. Should i put in a Cerbo or Octo instead?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Yes.

The CCGX has limits to system size. Some of them are explained in this table - specifically a maximum of 5 VE.Direct devices. But there are additional limits beyond that when there are LOTS of other extra such as 3 phase or parallel Multis, AC PV inverters, managed BMS and VE.Can devices too.

The VRM notice is a very tell tale sign that things are getting to be too much. In the worst case, it can even reboot the CCGX.

If you are willing to upgrade to a Cerbo GX+GX touch (recommended) or Octo GX (also makes sense due to your 4 VE.Direct devices), then that will surely resolve the issue.

I don't know much about REC BMS, but good to confirm that you aren't running the 500 Kbits CANbus connection on the same line as the VE.CAN is a 250 Kbit/s connection. You can't run both speeds into the same (single) VE.Can port on the CCGX. Again, no personal experience with REC BMS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We had a similar problem in a new installed system a few weeks ago.

3x MP-II 48/5000, ET340, BYD LVL Premium and 5x MPPT.
The CCGX was super slow on updating the overview and the customer said it is rebooting a few times a day.
So we exchanged the CCGX with a Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50 and now the system runs smooth. :)

Now we won't sell the CCGX for ESS anymore. It is to old and to slow for all the new features of Venus OS.
The CCGX is only interesting for small off-grid system like a RV or a boat.

2 |3000