question

t0mb0 avatar image
t0mb0 asked

BMV 712 time series plotting

Hi,

The BMW 712 is very useful for state of charge estimation and instantaneous current/voltage readings. Would it also be possible to add full time series (e.g. minute resolution?) plotting of voltage/current/charge to the app which would be really useful for diagnosing specific issues?

Thanks very much,

Tom

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi @t0mb0,

have you seen VRM?

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/

You need a Venus Device for the data to be transmitted there.

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

t0mb0 avatar image
t0mb0 answered ·
Thanks for the quick answer. It's only for a small-scale camper van application so I'm unlikely to add more industrial gadgets - I'll take a look though.

I was asking about the BMV because it's already installed and it would be really neat additional functionality given it must already measure all the required parameters - just a case of recording and plotting them.

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

You can even install Venus on a Raspberry Pi. Easy and cheap solution to transfer data to VRM. Even with a smartphone created Hotspot in a small camper ;o)

Have a look at:

raspberry-pi-running-victrons-venus-firmware

Regards,

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

t0mb0 avatar image t0mb0 commented ·

Ah, I see! Thanks very much, that's interesting.

Having a quick look at the VE Direct protocol, it's clear the BMV unit doesn't store history itself, which is a shame, so an external unit (e.g. raspberry pi) would definitely have to do the logging. Definitely possible, but a fairly major project! I'll let you know how I get on if I give it a go.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

t0mb0

I am embarking on a similar path and are also looking for 'local' logging as we are a yacht and frequently not within GSM coverage to upload to VRM but still want the logging available - perhaps operationally even more important off line if there is a problem in a remote location. Have the RPi in the 'planning' but as you say a different problem and do not want this device to be 'in-line' with operational equipment if at all possible.

1548986426281.png (1.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

I think I probably could rig something up with a raspberry pi but it would take a while. I can't help feeling slightly annoyed that a £200 device doesn't log the basics.

0 Likes 0 ·
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

https://solaranzeige.de

This logs every minute locally and displays ii beautifully in various and adjustable grafana graphs. Runs on a pi and works for BMV, Solarchargecontrollers and Phoenix inverters. Way more possibilities with remote this and that too. Needs VE to bluetooth cable, a pi, and a screen which can be an existing TV

1 comment
2 |3000

That does look cool! Unfortunately, I don't speak German so it's hard for me to work out the details.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic