question

james-davy avatar image
james-davy asked

Clicking sound on 15kva Quattro

The system is a 15kva Quattro, 200ah Blue Nova Racpower batteries(currently), about 8kwp in panels (currently).

I have replaced the inverter once to see if the problem persists and it did. Basically when the SOC gets to the percentage where Output 2 is meant to come back on(80%) then the inverter makes a clicking sound (sounds a bit like a relay clicking on and off). Normally the first click is the Output 2 coming back on and then it seems to continue on and off. It does seem to be the Output 2 Relay because the appliances that are on Output 2 turn off and on as it clicks.

The clicking sound is experienced when the Inverter is inverting, when the grid or generator comes through then the clicking stops. It also stops when the Output 2 breaker is turned off.

I wondered if possibly it may have something to do with an earth or neutral issue in the house or possibly it would be better to use a different parameter to activate Output 2 - or something else completely? I would really appreciate some ideas. We don't have this problem on other systems thus far.

Thank you

ac out 2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

What have you set your SOClower option to cut the relay off at to. You mention above that you SOChigher is set to 80%.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james-davy avatar image
james-davy answered ·

Hi, I have set it to 75%

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Hi can you post your assistants summary?

I presume you have double checked your output wiring for shorts.

2 |3000

james-davy avatar image
james-davy answered ·

@Jwfrary I will attach the assistants below. An output 2 short on something 'downstream' does sound like a plausible idea. We are going through it. Advice is appreciated, thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

If you select all the assistants (In blue) and then click summary you get them all.

Assistants seem to make sense though. Sounds very much like you have a wiring error on the AC2 output.

Usually you have common earth, but the neutral and live run though a second RCD or similar.

I would check polarity's everywhere as well.

as I deal with marine installs I know next to nothing about ESS and how it might be effecting your installations behaviour.

Try removing all your assistants and seeing if the system works, if it doesn't you have narrowed your problem to wiring !

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

How often are the relays clicking off. is it every 60 seconds. Looking at your Programmable relay 1. relay off when ac not available for 60 seconds. could this be why your system power off. So basically what I am suggesting is the relay power off because AC in down for more than 60 seconds, then it powers on because SOC is above 80% then it powers off a minute later as no AC detected and keeps doing this.
It appears that the order the assistants in will determine how they operate. you can set mutiple criteria on one assistant ie off if ac lost or SOC below 75%, this you would place below the assistant for relay on. you may need to play around with the order and the criteria ie just work off soc instead of AC availability for relay off.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/8483/setting-up-assistants-in-ve-configure.html

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic