question

dbainbridge avatar image
dbainbridge asked

Why do the solar charge controllers not have GFPD?

I am trying to understand why the Victron solar charge controllers do not come with GFPD built-in since this could add considerable cost to every Victron charge controller having to add an external device for this depending on your legal requirements. To protect the 250V SmartSolar controller in the USA it appears the "safest" option is the $350 Morningstar 600V GFPD which is nearly half the cost of the controller itself. I know Midnite Solar charge controllers have this built-in so it is possible to do this without significant cost. I realize this may be tricky question to answer but am generally trying to understand the reasoning for it not being built into every charge controller if it is in fact a safety feature whether or not it is installed in a location that legally requires it.

I know other parts of the world are installing these in residential stationary settings. Are most of these locations not required to have GFPD and/or is there something considerably cheaper that is being used for that protection especially for the 250V controller?

Is Victron working on a solution to make it easier to install these in markets requiring this feature?

MPPT Controllerssafety
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@dbainbridge, I'll mention a few points here... not speaking for Victron, of course, but maybe these points would help with the logic:

1. NEC2008, which is what requires GFP devices on solar installations now, is US code, while Victron is a global company and not expressly focused on the US market - though of course they're making great strides here. All in, though, the US market makes up a fraction of Victron's total market, so although as I say, they're making great strides here, they do have the rest of the world to focus on as well, so we in the US kind of have to take Victron's efforts toward US code compliance with a degree of understanding and patience.

2. MidNite Solar MPPTs tend to run ~$100-300 more than a comparable Victron BlueSolar MPPT (you can't use the SmartSolar line as a price comparison, because MidNite doesn't have the Smart features). Now, given that I can buy a MidNite Solar 300v 50A DC GFP for less than $100, well... there's a clue as to where the extra money you spend on a MidNite unit is going.

3. I'll restate that last sentence on its own, since it's pertinent: you can buy a MidNite Solar MNDC-GFP50-300 for less than a hundred dollars... no need to go to a $350 600v unit! Though to be fair, I do like Morningstar's design better... but not $250 worth of better.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbainbridge avatar image dbainbridge commented ·

Thank you for your answer. Someone pointed me to section 690.41(B) of the 2017 NEC which states

(B) Ground-Fault Protection. DC PV arrays shall be provided with dc ground-fault protection meeting the requirements of 690.41(B)(1) and (2) to reduce fire hazards.

Exception: PV arrays with not more than two PV source circuits and with all PV system dc circuits not on or in buildings shall be permitted without ground-fault protection where solidly grounded.

My installation meets that exception since it is only 2 source circuits on top of pole mount out in middle of a field.

Found this page useful on the NEC 2017 changes related to solar: https://allstarce.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2017-NEC-Code-Ch-6-Article-690-2.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual