question

overvoltage avatar image
overvoltage asked

Effects of changing battery charge current limit on charger NV storage

I am thinking about sending hex protocol commands to my 100/50 blue charger to limit the charger current under certain circumstances but want to do as little as possible. If I change register 0xEDF0 does this trigger a write to the charger's non-volatile storage and if so is this going to cause problems with write aging of what ever that nv storage actually is? There could be multiple changes to the charge current limit each day.

The other option would be to put the charger into a network mode, possibly BMS mode, but I am not sure if that means the voltage targets in the charger's internal profile apply any more. Preferably I'd like to not take command of anything but the charge current limit. I'm not sure if writing to register 0x2015 would trigger a write to the charger's NV storage either.

MPPT Controllerscharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
henriv avatar image
henriv answered ·

Late reply, but I'm researching the same.

0xEDF0 does write to NV storage, and the document warms about the write endurance.

Below extract from the doc implies that 2015 is not in NV.

The upper current limit is still whatever 0xEDF0 is set to.

From the doc:

Charge current limit (register 0x2015)

The charge current limit of the charger. This register could be used to limit/control the charge current of a charger on a network. It must be written to the charger regularly (more than once a minute) together with register 0x200E (see network mode register 0x200E for more information). Charger charge current limit will be the minimum value between register 0x2015 (charge current limit) and register 0xEDF0 (maximum battery current setting). When register 0x2015 is not used, charger will use the maximum battery current setting (register 0xEFF0) as charge limit.

RE: Taking full command. From the document.

Firmware versions 1.42 and higher: depending on the content received, if the unit receives a charge voltage set-point it reports EXTERNAL CONTROL (252). If the unit only receives a current set-point, it still uses its internal charger algorithm and it will keep reporting Bulk, Absorption, etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic