question

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk asked

Loss of grid meter connection - no PV input now

I have had intermittent loss of signal from E24 meter (single phase ESS system) This causes the PV input to disappear off the ccgx and no charging of batteries so system is in Passthru.

I suspect the Cat 5 cables which are a real pain to get into the terminals of the E24 and with some fiddling I got the PV back but then it failed again. I had to reboot several times a day to get the PV back onto the system. The red and green lights on the USB interface flash as they should but then go off - then reappear and the go off and no PV input is showing.

Now I have rewired from the USB cable back to the E24 in 3 core cable so I know I have 3 connected cables back to the CCGX but it does not work. No PV is showing and I am running on grid not solar or batteries.

How do I check the fault cause? Is it the USB cable interface, or the meter or the CCGX?

How can I bypass the meter to at least get some solar charging input?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

When an ESS system looses the grid meter it goes into passthru. The quick fix is to go into the ESS menu, and disable the grid meter by choosing Multi/Quattro instead of external meter (Venus V2.60 onwards) the real fix of course is to get it communicating all the time, this could be your USB to RS485 cable, energy meter or CCGX causing the issue. In my own experience, change the RS485 to USB cable first

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If your cable run is long then, to avoid signal degradation, you should be using a twisted pair for the data lines and use a terminator resistor.

Note on cable length extensions and bus termination

To ensure signal integrity and robust operation, particularly ensure that;

Extension cabling complies with the minimum cross-sectional area specifications in the USB to RS485 data sheet.

Extension cabling has appropriate shielding and twisted pair cores

The original cable attached to the Victron RS485 to USB interface is reduced to a maximum length of 20cm in installations where the total cable length is over 10m or there are installation/site specific interference issues – in this case appropriate/high quality cabling should be used for the entire cable length, rather than only for the extension length. Use as little of the supplied cable as possible on the RS485 to USB adapter before joining with your extension cable.

Cabling is installed separated/away from the main DC or AC power cabling.

All wiring is properly terminated (including unused wires) and properly isolated from weather/water ingress.

RS485 networks are traditionally terminated with 120Ω terminators.

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

I have re run the cable with newly terminated twisted pair Cat 5 using one twisted pair for data plus and minus and one single for the ground wire. I was very careful to make sure the connections at the grid meter were correct and tight.

The red and green led's inside the USB plug are flashing then stop then start again so there is not a constant signal as there should be. See Youtube clip to see: https://youtu.be/aZFa7E5qRxc

The grid meter does show up in the CCGX but still no PV input. It did come up yesterday briefly but then nothing since. I have changed the Grid meter to Inverter but no difference still no PV charging.

The cable run is only 3 metres - so not too long and follows the same route as before.

I have a new Grid meter but it is a E112 which I believe will not give me PV input separate from the grid control?

As the EM24 is giving an interrupted signal I can probably eliminate the CCGX as a fault as I can see the on/off data flow through the USB cable plug.?

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

So my CCGX has not seen the grid meter or PV inverters incoming power for 2 days. I am seeing up to 5kw of PV going into the (E24) grid meter on L2 which is correct. This solar input is not going to batteries as it cannot be seen by the Inverter, it is not being used by the house loads (as the batteries are doing that) and it is not being exported back to the grid so where is it going?? If the grid meter or RS485 interface cable is faulty does this then prevent the system from using any solar input?

I have changed the inverter to controlling the battery and all this does is prevent Passthru but it does not enable use of the solar power which I know iS in the system.

(I have ordered and new meter and cable but it could be a while.)

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

Problem has been solved - I bought a new RS485 interface cable and a new grid meter because otherwise I have the potential of 2 large shipping costs. I replaced the cable and immediately the red light in the USB came on and the red and green indicator lights were flashing inside the USB plug. PV reappears on my ccgx. So the failed cable will be going back for a refund. Yet another failed device from the Victron range. They really should last longer than this.

I have an old EM24 meter and a new ET340 so should I replace the meter as I have bought it now? What benefit will I get?

2 |3000