question

garethcurtis avatar image
garethcurtis asked

Color Control wrong date/time - ethernet connected - must be manually set?

hi,

Firstly - love my VRM system. Had very little problems with it since it's been set up for more than a year now. However, one niggling thing lately that has me confused.....

My Color Control is running the latest firmware and connected to the internet via ethernet.

We have had a couple of grid power cuts recently and it seems that the Color Control is unable to set its time/date? Which I find confusing because it's such a clever system!

I have to go into the control panel and manually update it. Although somehow, it does remember it is October 2020?

Power off - go in to the control, random time is set, and the UTC date is 1-10-20. Why is this? I thought all these systems got their time/date from the internet? I could understand it if it reset completely or if it wasn't connected to the internet. It also seems to remember I'm in the London timezone.

Not a massive issue but as I charge overnight it's messed up a couple of times and I've started the day with an empty set of batteries.

Not sure if a fix could be made available? Or if the unit could get the correct UTC time from one of those time server things.

Anyway, many thanks for producing such a great product anyway!

Best,

Gareth.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @garethcurtis

Go into VRM's 'Settings' and 'Set Location'. Heed the warning there to not set it as well on your GX.

It will work it all out for you, right down to daylight saving changes. And VRM will even display the current temp from your local weather station.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

garethcurtis avatar image garethcurtis commented ·

thanks @JohnC. I checked and I've already got that set up unfortunately.....

Maybe I've set it on the Color Control too somehow, though I don't know how to unset it. The only options in there are:

- Date/Time UTC

- Date/Time Local

- Timezone

There is no auto or off option. No location option either as far as I can see in the GX menu....

If you have any suggestions they would be most appreciated!

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
mresman avatar image mresman commented ·
How do you not set "it" on your GX?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@garethcurtis

Dang, you're right. Not the sort of thing one does every day, so I went back for a look.. Not how I remember it..

With my location set in VRM, and it honouring correct date & time, off to the GX. It was 63 min off, ..hmm.. and showing that on every screen header. A recent daylight-saving change would account for 60 min of that, but it was unexpectedly wrong. Couldn't blank anything nor make sense of any alterations I made.

Until I rebooted the GX. I had a strange timezone set there for testing, but the time had changed, so promising.. Reverted to the correct timezone, the time changed without a reboot, and now all is well. When changing timezone it needed 2 clicks to make it stick.

This may be a bug, perhaps a residue from firmware updates, even VRM development. What's annoying is that now I know I can't trust the time on the GX page headers, as is seems neither my own internet nor VRM seems to be updating it regularly.

In a nutshell, just set the timezone and reboot the GX. This should fix it for now, but ongoing should really be better than that.

1 comment
2 |3000

garethcurtis avatar image garethcurtis commented ·

Thanks @JohnC have given that a go! Appreciate your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
michael2019 avatar image
michael2019 answered ·

I have got the same issue with my CCGX and this is affecting the start/stop time of my Generator. Time zone set correctly West Africa +1 but the display time for the local time is wrong (45 + mins late) on the CCGX local time. If the local time is manually set, after some hours or a day, it will lag by that same mins.

Please what's the solution to this?

2 |3000