question

Ingo avatar image
Ingo asked

Assistant Explanation

What exactly does the following Assistant options mean?

I have an unstable grid where my Quattro loses frequency sync. I am looking for an Assistant option to select that triggers on Grid Sync Loss (Grid doesn't fail, frequency drops low).

relay assistant
1601819581364.png (3.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Ingo

Bulk protection: an option that stops charging when bulk phase takes longer than 10 hours

General system failure: when there is an alarm.

what you can use is:

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I am looking for an option I can select when grid frequency drops below 47.5Hz. My Relay assistant doesn't work when the grid frequency drops low and that causes ACOut2 NOT to disengage and kills my batteries. I will test the 'Not Charging' option.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Ingo, I don't know of such an assistant, so that's why I suggested to use the option listed above. that will effectively do the same: activate when AC-input is disconnected.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Yip, I will test it - already downloaded the update.

I would have thought that it should be an internal 'check' when programming a relay assistant. Without the Relay Assistant the ACOut2 relay DOES disengage when the frequency drops low. The manual states that when using a Relay Assistant you need to program for all possible options as the default behavior is overridden - this possibility is missing though.

Could I ask that you look at incorporating Low|High frequency, as you have for the default behavior, either as an option to the Relay Assistant OR include it in the 'General System Failure' classification.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) I tested the basic operation of your suggestion together with my existing condition of ACIn2 On|Off and I seem to have found something strange - or I am missing something obvious.

The Off condition works perfectly, the On condition does not seem to honor my setting of 'ACIn2 available for 120s'.

I reverted everything back to basics and only have ACOut2 Relay Off on ACIn2 fail and ACOut2 Relay On when ACIn2 is Available for 120s.

The condition I get is that when the grid fails (ACIn2 unavailable for 0s) then ACOut2 relay disengages immediately - perfect. When I connect the grid (ACIn2) the ACOut2 Relay engages (ON) in +-8s even before the Quattro has synced to the grid, it still shows Inverting on the LED indicators. A few more seconds later, probably another 5s it 'clonks' to the grid. It seems the condition I set for 'ACIn2 available for 120s' is ignored. If I do not program any relay assistant at all it works as designed +-120s before ACOut Relay engages.

Before I can properly test your 'charging' suggestion I need to get the basic relay assistant working. All other fields in the assistant is left at default. Any suggestions?

ACIn2 = Grid

ACIn1 = Generator (Not Connected)

Firmware 2657476

Relay Assistant 012C

0 Likes 0 ·
1602342625898.png (7.5 KiB)
1602342652478.png (7.5 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic