question

Ingo avatar image

Assistant Explanation

What exactly does the following Assistant options mean?

I have an unstable grid where my Quattro loses frequency sync. I am looking for an Assistant option to select that triggers on Grid Sync Loss (Grid doesn't fail, frequency drops low).

relay assistant
1601819581364.png (3.4 KiB)
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Ingo

Bulk protection: an option that stops charging when bulk phase takes longer than 10 hours

General system failure: when there is an alarm.

what you can use is:

4 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I am looking for an option I can select when grid frequency drops below 47.5Hz. My Relay assistant doesn't work when the grid frequency drops low and that causes ACOut2 NOT to disengage and kills my batteries. I will test the 'Not Charging' option.

Hi @Ingo, I don't know of such an assistant, so that's why I suggested to use the option listed above. that will effectively do the same: activate when AC-input is disconnected.

Ingo avatar image Ingo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ·

Yip, I will test it - already downloaded the update.

I would have thought that it should be an internal 'check' when programming a relay assistant. Without the Relay Assistant the ACOut2 relay DOES disengage when the frequency drops low. The manual states that when using a Relay Assistant you need to program for all possible options as the default behavior is overridden - this possibility is missing though.

Could I ask that you look at incorporating Low|High frequency, as you have for the default behavior, either as an option to the Relay Assistant OR include it in the 'General System Failure' classification.

Ingo avatar image Ingo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) I tested the basic operation of your suggestion together with my existing condition of ACIn2 On|Off and I seem to have found something strange - or I am missing something obvious.

The Off condition works perfectly, the On condition does not seem to honor my setting of 'ACIn2 available for 120s'.

I reverted everything back to basics and only have ACOut2 Relay Off on ACIn2 fail and ACOut2 Relay On when ACIn2 is Available for 120s.

The condition I get is that when the grid fails (ACIn2 unavailable for 0s) then ACOut2 relay disengages immediately - perfect. When I connect the grid (ACIn2) the ACOut2 Relay engages (ON) in +-8s even before the Quattro has synced to the grid, it still shows Inverting on the LED indicators. A few more seconds later, probably another 5s it 'clonks' to the grid. It seems the condition I set for 'ACIn2 available for 120s' is ignored. If I do not program any relay assistant at all it works as designed +-120s before ACOut Relay engages.

Before I can properly test your 'charging' suggestion I need to get the basic relay assistant working. All other fields in the assistant is left at default. Any suggestions?

ACIn2 = Grid

ACIn1 = Generator (Not Connected)

Firmware 2657476

Relay Assistant 012C

1602342625898.png (7.5 KiB)
1602342652478.png (7.5 KiB)