question

phemens avatar image
phemens asked

Can I connect the Victron temperature sensor directly to a Smartsolar MPPT?

I currently have 2 Victron MMPTs (a BlueSolar and a SmartSolar) along with a BMV-702 with the Bluetooth adapter. Given that I cannot connect the temperature sensor directly to the BMV-702 (as the plug is taken by the Bluetooth), is it possible to have the sensor connected to the Smartsolar MPPT and then thus share the temperature readings with the BlueSolar and BMV-702?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

As per the BMV quick install guide, the temp sensor plugs into the shunt and bolts onto the battery positive terminal.

Instructions for Victron Smart networking.

bmv-temp.png (79.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What sensor are you talking about?
The connector at the back of the BMV that is used for the BT dongle is VE.direct and there is no VE.direct temperature sensor available.
Also the MPPT don't have a connector for a temp. sensor.

You could use the special temp. sensor for the BMV or the smart battery sense and set up a smart network as mentioned by klim8skeptic.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor