question

westen avatar image

why can I not use a smart battery protect between battery and inverter?

Hi all,

Just bought a battery protect (the larger smart one/forgot the details, sorry).

Thought I could hook it up between battery and loads and have it turn off current in case of battery-low-voltage. As a safety measure thing.

Then I`read:

you cannot use this device between your batteries and an inverter (...)

Is this for real?

Of course I have an inverter! Don't we all?

How am I going to battery (lowvoltage) protect my system?

My set-up is 4x 160W panels, MPPT 100/20, 12V system

thanks for any advice,

jan

Battery Protect
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gallaxial avatar image
gallaxial answered ·

IF the inverter do not have : adjustable low-voltage shutdown

you can use this device ?

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA avatar image
Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA answered ·

Hi @westen, welcome to the Community!

You are correct, you may not use the BatteryProtect between a battery and an inverter. All Victron inverters have built-in adjustable low-voltage disconnects, so they don't need any external devices to accomplish that functionality; 3rd-party inverters, well... the programmability of the inverter depends on the manufacturer, and that's a conversation best had with them.

Using a BatteryProtect to directly disconnect the main DC line of an inverter will, sooner or later, destroy the BatteryProtect, and since it's an expressly forbidden configuration, it will not be covered by warranty.

Please see the user manual here for details on acceptable connection methods.

There is a wide range of other manufacturers' latching relays that may be used to accomplish what you're trying to do, if your inverter does not have such basic functionality as an adjustable low-voltage shutdown, but, unfortunately, the Victron BatteryProtect is not one of the products that could work for you.