question

Oleksandr avatar image
Oleksandr asked

RS 48/6000 and Pylontech batteries (how many?)

Hello everybody,

I have an offgrid installation with RS 48/6000 and 2x US2000 Pylontech batteries and I am wondering if two batteries is enough.

I can see that Victron has suggestion on how many batteries one needs for a properly functioning system depending on what Inverter/Charger one has. But the latest RS 48/6000 in not on the list!

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can provide any suggestions on how many Pylontech batteries are needed in a system with RS 48/6000.

Regards,

Alex

Pylontechoffgrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·

Hi Oleksander. Does the RS need a GX device for the Pylontec battery monitor?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Inverter RS has the followin parameters that we need to pay attention to:
5300W maximum continuous output @ 25°C
9000W peak output for 3 seconds.

Pylontech battery has a maximum continous output of 1200W and 4800W peak (15s).

So, five Pylontech US2000 batteries would be a good match for the Inverter RS.
5x US2000 batteries gives you 6000W continuous and 24000W peak (15s).

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Oleksandr avatar image Oleksandr commented ·

Thanks a lot, WKirby! Very well explained the logic behind.

I would be grateful if you can also consider the following question - if I know 100% that I will never use more than 2000W continuous, do you think I can get away with just two batteries (1200W*2 > 2000W)? Will the system be exposed to any other shortcomings in that case?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Oleksandr commented ·

If you are 100% sure the of course you can use fewer batteries.
In that case you should also ensure that the charging current is limited to the maximum that two batteries can withstand, 50A maximum for two batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Oleksandr avatar image Oleksandr wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @WKirby,

Great! Thanks for your comment!

Regards,

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel87 avatar image
daniel87 answered ·

hello,

if i use 5 of pylontech us2000C, then i need to adjust the maximum battery current to 5*25A=125A?

and the same voltages, as i would give to a phoneix inverter or a multiplus?

Can the RS48/6000 communicate via type a/b- cable with the BMS of the Pylontech, like the Multiplus GX ??

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, 5x US2000C would have a limit of 125A.

The Pylontech does not connect directly to or communicate the MPPT RS. The Pylontech must connect to the GX device.
If you are going to connect the MPPT RS to the GX device with VE.CAN then it will need to use a separate Canbus interface to the Pylontech. Pylontech communicates at 500Kb/s and VE.Can is 250Kb/s. So a Cerbo would be a good option here because it has two Canbus interfaces (VE.Can and Canbus BMS).

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel87 avatar image daniel87 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

that was really fast, thanks you man !!

0 Likes 0 ·