question

freddy-1 avatar image
freddy-1 asked

Solar charge a empty lithium battery?

Hi, in my caravan I have installed a 275w solar panel, a Victron 100/30 solar charger and a 0Ah Lithium battery. Two times now has the battery been so low that the BMS has turned the battery off.. But next morning when sun was back a volt monitor (shunt) displayed 29V but battery was still off. I had to connect a old charger to start it, then the victron charged the battery to full.
Can i change some settings in my Victron mppt charger so it can start the BMS so the battery can be charged again without me have to connect another charger?

MPPT ControllersBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

Try setting up an alarm so you know when the battery is getting low.

Another thing you can do is setup a low SOC circuit to shutdown the loads when the battery is getting low, catching it before the BMS kicks in. If you shutdown the loads but leave the charging circuits engaged, the system should self correct when the sun comes out.

Letting the BMS shut the system down often is not necessarily good for the BMS, and it isn't good for the batteries to run them down so low continuously as it will shorten their life.

I assume you are working on getting more solar?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic