question

covan-19 avatar image
covan-19 asked

Battery protect with battery switching

I have two battery banks on my adventure van: one AGM, one lithium. I use the Smart Battery Protect 100 for the AGM bank, and I'd like to use the Smart Battery Protect 220 for the larger lithium bank. Both banks share a common ground for simplicity. Both of these banks feed back into the same positive bus system.

I'd like to use a remote rocker switch to control the individual Smart BPs as a battery bank switcher rather than the bulky manual battery switch which takes up a lot of space on my electrical panel. If I set up a rocker switch (ON-OFF-ON) that will allow me to select which Smart BP is currently on via the remote (H/L) leads, will the Vout>Vin restriction prevent me from doing this because my lithium voltage is > AGM voltage, even when the Smart BP 100 is off? When the remote for the battery protect is switched off, does it actuate a relay and physically disconnect the battery so that it won't matter if Vout > Vin, or will it still result in uncontrolled current through the battery protect as the manual warns about?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The BP is not just a relay and even if it is switched off current can flow from OUT to IN and this can damage the BP.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.