question

brianckennedy1963 avatar image
brianckennedy1963 asked

Why does my BMV not pickup alternator amperage

I have a Multiplus Compact and a BMV 702 monitor. When I’m connected to shorepower or while my generator is running my monitor registers amperage output and battery percentage increase. When disconnected from shore power and while engine is running, the BMV detects voltage (13-14v) from the alternator but it does record any amperage or percentage increase in battery capacity. Any suggestions for Why this might be?
cheers

Brian

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Where in relation to the shunt is the alternator attached.

If it's on the wrong side this is what will happen.

Suggest you carefully follow the wiring instructions in the manual - there are many, many threads about BMV wiring on this forum you can easily find.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Most likely the alternator negative is connected to the chassis frame of the vehicle, and so is the Battery negative.

So that is bypassing the BMV, which requires all negatives to pass through it for them to be counted.

2 |3000