question

Jimmy Bergetun avatar image
Jimmy Bergetun asked

Use existing gauges in paralel with Cerbo tank level input?

I have 4 different tanks in my boat. Diesel tank x2, fresh water tank, and waste water tank. Each of the tanks has one tank level senders connected to analog gauges. I want to be able to read the values from my Cerbo GX, but i still want to able to use the existing gauges. it possible to show the tank level on the Cerbo GX and at the same time on the existing tank gauges?

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Probably not, at least not yet.

I'm assuming resistive senders. These are connected to the analog gauges which draw a specific amount of current against the resistance of the sender, which varies depending on the level in the tank.

Cerbo does a similar thing: it pulls up on the sender input with 680 ohms to +5 volts.

If Cerbo and the analog gauge are connected to the same sender, they will both pull current through the sender's resistance offsetting both readings.

Victron is working on a box that provides 4 analog inputs that can accommodate a voltage without pulling on the sender. This can probably run in parallel with your existing analog gauges. The Victron box is in the prototype stage and not available to consumers at this time. More info on the project here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/47324/looking-for-input-4-to-20ma-senders.html?childToView=61813#comment-61813

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mauronic avatar image mauronic commented ·
I assume that the outcome of this was the GX Tank 140?

I have the same question and am wondering if this will handle it.

0 Likes 0 ·
vick-da-aerbus avatar image vick-da-aerbus commented ·
Is the analog inputs disappearing on the cerbo a result of resistive senders connected to the analog ports? Are resistive senders connected to tank input or is the resistive sender adapter required?
0 Likes 0 ·
asea avatar image
asea answered ·

You can also buy senders that are made for 2 gauges.

2 |3000