question

bentonaj avatar image
bentonaj asked

BP100 and Inverter capacitive load

Hi, I am a little confused, the BP100 manual states that the overload protection will activate when powering an inverter due to the inrush current charging the capacitors, it recommends connecting the inverter direct to the battery (vai a Fuse) and using a relay powered from the load output to operate the inverter by its remote control.However in the Mini BMS manual it states 'The miniBMS can be used to control the remote on/off terminal Contrary to a Cyrix or contactor, a BatteryProtect can start a load with a large input capacitor such as an inverter or a DC-DC converter' Anyone tell me which is correct?

I feel happier switching the inverter direct through the BP100 rather than worry about the tiny residual current taken by the inverter when switched off by remote.

Supplementary question can I damage the BP100 if I try the direct route ?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

There is no advantage of controlling the inverter's power directly with the BP100 over using its remote. If you can experiment with one you'll discover that pulling the inverter's remote pin results in instantaneous shutdown just like you'd pull the fuse.

That leaves a tidier control of the rest of your loads using smaller wires through your BP100.

If you read the manuals for lots of the Lithium batteries with on board BMS's they talk about a BMS wearing out prematurely if forced to switch excessive loads. They're MOSFET based just like your BP100 protect - so experimentation is only okay if you're okay with premature failure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.