question

kirtap avatar image
kirtap asked

Multiplus II no load consumtion are too high

My new Multiplus II 48V 3000VA draws 0.89A at 52V when no load is connected. That is 46 watts. In the specification, it should draw 11 watts. Is my device broken?

I have double checked and triple checked with different measurement methods. And even the Multiplus and BMV tell me 0,9A.

I bought this specifically because it would only draw 11 watts compared to 40 watts that my old inverter draws as I have limited space for solar panels and the inverter need to be on 24/7.

This one draws even more than my old cheap chinese inverter.

Any suggestions? Or is it just to return the device?

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Kirtap

It depends on what setting your have.

Is AES enabled?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@Kirtap Is the system completely off-grid? Have you disabled the charger in VE.Config and see what happens as well as disabled power assist? It states the inverter draw is 11W but this is an/inverter charger so the system overall could be higher. Just some thoughts.

0 Likes 0 ·
kirtap avatar image kirtap ejrossouw commented ·

@ejrossouw Thanks for your thoughts. The system is off grid intended for a motorhome. I have now tried to turn off charger, ups, power assist and wide input frequency but still 0,89A stand by current. I had a multiplus 1200VA in my caravan, that multiplus draws stand by current acordingly to specifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
kirtap avatar image kirtap commented ·

The seller dont answer my questions. Any victron staff here?

0 Likes 0 ·
John Gold avatar image John Gold commented ·

I have the same Multiplus II 48V 3000VA and same problem, in stand by mode it consumes on AC out 17w and from battery - 46w when i use inverter's internal battery monitor, but when i installed SmartShunt as battery monitor it showed 16w.

0 Likes 0 ·
northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 John Gold commented ·

screenshot-20220809-182820-chrome.jpgJohn, does your AC out of 17w show as an AC load in VRM? I have absolutely nothing drawing AC current yet it shows AC loads kind of proportional to my input wattage say 9 or 10%.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ northtown2022 commented ·

@NorthTown2022

The system will also be measuring the consumption of other devices in the system. So multi mppt gx device etc.

The shunt also adds to that list but will be more accurate that the Multis internal calculation.

1 Like 1 ·
northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I do not understand. This is all calculated as an AC load? VRM shows an AC load of 24w in this example with no external loads.

When i do apply a load the charger the AC load increasese somewhat proportionaly.

In this example I am charging at 21A with no external AC loads.

screenshot-20220807-174756-chrome.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

There are two different battery reading on your vrm. One is the multi, one a shunt am i correct?

You have set the multi to be the main battery monitor. It does not have a shunt. The amount going to the battery is assumed (slightly incorrectly as not measured) but there is more coming in, so it is assuming it is going to loads.

When in fact all but 60W is going to the battery as shown by the shunt. Losses through resistance, heat and own consumption most likely.

1 Like 1 ·
northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

You are correct! One is the smart shunt, the other one is the Quattro.

60W seems a bit steep and will certainly need to look into this! Thank you for your response Alexandra!

@snoobler

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler northtown2022 commented ·

Learn something new every day! I have it enabled on mine, and I don't see the same results, but I also have DVCC enabled with my BMV-702 as SVS, SCS and STS.

2 Likes 2 ·
Set your main system monitor to the shunt see if that changes things for you.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
kirtap avatar image
kirtap answered ·

I interpret it as it draws 11 watts in normal mode. 7 watts in AES mode and 2 watts in search mode.

If I turn on the AES mode it still draws 0.89 amps but maybe it gets a little quieter. Search mode draws 0,89 amps for a short time period about every 2 seconds.

I already have a 375va inverter and an 800va inverter from victron and they draw idle current according to spec.

I have now also noticed that the included temperature sensor shows errors with +7 degrees C.

Has the quality of victron stuff gotten worse?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I had a similar problem with the temp sensor. New one over-reads by about 1.5C. There is a thread here on calibration, but it seems action on the Victron side. Easiest is to replace.

0 Likes 0 ·
klarglas avatar image
klarglas answered ·

I have a brand new Multiplus 2 3000 48V and I also see a current of 0.9A without any loads. This is really a lot more than claimed in the datasheet. Is there an solution?

1 comment
2 |3000

squowse avatar image squowse commented ·
I've got one in the post. Sounds like I need to keep the packaging etc. Main reason I bought the Multiplus 2 over the original Multiplus was low standby consumption. Makes a huge difference off grid in winter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

My experience with these devices is the no load power dissipation varies from unit. I have seen a 5 kVA Quattro dissipate 45 watts with no load. Please search on this topic as a previous post on this issue was addressed by Victron.

2 |3000