question

swede avatar image
swede asked

Battery protect 65 stucked on

Hi!

I have a (not smart) Battery Protect 65 A, that have worked for maybe 2 years.

Now I tested to open the remote connection on the Battery Protect. The load continues to have power. I.e. the Battery Protect did not turn off.

The load on the Battery Protect basically looks like below. I have MPPTs and Multiplus but that is on the battery side. I also have a 20 W lamp on the Battery protect output. I also have some small loads on the secondary sides on the DCDCs.

I'm considering to buy a new, but not fun to buy a new if I don't know why it failed.

Any ideas?

Battery Protect
1599772651577.png (240.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi, try to use a spray to clean the electrical contacts. Regarding where your installation is located it could be an issue.

Also, charging the batteries can be done using only 1 Battery Protect.You just need to connect the + from the mppt directly on the IN. Your batteries will ALWAYS get the charge, and the BP will serve as a relay.

I am just using this setup, and it works flawlessly.

Michel

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

swede avatar image swede commented ·

Thanks for your feedback! Since it does not turn off, it seems unlikly that it is bad contact. But maybe something strange can happend, for example if it bad conneciton on the ground. I will check dubbel check.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Swede, I don't see anything inherently incorrect about this setup (no charge sources, no capacitive loads like inverters or anything) so it's certainly possible that the unit has failed of its own accord... it's rare with Victron products, but still happens.

The good news is that these, like virtually every Victron product, are covered by a 5-year warranty, so rather than going out and buying a new one, get in touch with the authorized Victron dealer or distributor from whom you originally purchased the device and, in addition to being able to assist you with some further troubleshooting, they'll be able to start their RMA process to get you a replacement unit if they determine that yours is likely faulty.

If you don't know who you purchased it from, you can use this handy form which will, after you enter the device serial number and your contact information, allow Victron to contact the distributor who sold the unit and put them in touch with you.

1 comment
2 |3000

swede avatar image swede commented ·

Thanks for your answer! I will contact the dealer.

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

The top black cable with 2 red strings is coming from the Victron mppt. It is linked to the battery banks, and protected with a 150A fuse. The Battery Protect is the 24V /220A. The DC disconnect switch cuts all the power supply to the inverters if any problem.

The other switch below the 150A fuse allows me to swap the battery banks or to cut the power from the batteries.

I hope it will help you for your setup.

Michel

2 |3000