question

Andre Voolaid avatar image
Andre Voolaid asked

EasySolar-II GX MPPT shorted

Solar charge controller suddenly disappeared from GX, internal breaker tripped and solar +/- are seem to be shorted. Panel Voc has never been over 200V and Isc over 30A. What could cause such a failure? Device itself only a few months old.

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

misullivan avatar image misullivan commented ·

I had the exact same thing 2 months ago... I have a new solar controller in mine thanks to the warranty... I did comment the same here a while back. Glad to see I’m not the only one... worried that I’m not the only one... hate to think this is going to happen again if there is some sort of generic (design) fault,,,

I’d put money on if you had been watching the console when the power output when above 2000w the MPPT suddenly started dropping to 1000-1300w for no reasonable explanation just for a second every so often and when it went over 2500W it did it a lot more frequently... (inverse spike)... could have been firmware 2.57... I’m on few 2.58 now (since the new MPPT ... not seen it very often now and touch wood it’s still running...

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
tariq avatar image
tariq answered ·

I had something similar happen, system was producing 2800 watts and all of a sudden went to zero, voltage at pv terminals was about 180 volts, but at the MPPT was essentially battery voltage

Unit was 6 weeks old

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

This is not the same as the OP's problem. If your PV input was shorted, you would not have 180v.

Check you fuse/breaker between the mppt and battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andre Voolaid avatar image
Andre Voolaid answered ·

It happen to be a defective solar charge controller. It took few weeks to get it back fixed, but at least it was covered by warranty.

2 |3000