question

mick-l avatar image
mick-l asked

Where do I connect the smart shunt negative?

im looking at the smart shunt 500a. In the fitting instructions it says this

" And similarly, there should be no other connections on the battery negative. Any loads or chargers here will not be included in the battery state of charge calculation."

does this mean that the battery negative terminal that the shunt connectes too cant go to a bus bar where all my chargers are also conected too.

It basically has to have its own grounding.

hope that makes sense.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

@mick l

Essentially all the current on the negative side needs to flow through the shunt, including your chargers.

If you have a buss bar that's ideal. Take everything there, chargers, loads, everything. Then the shunt goes between that buss bar and the battery. Connect a wire or bolt the shunt direct to the buss bar and then a wire to the battery negative, which should be the only one going there.

Hope that helps.

Check out wiring unlimited for help with cable size its a really useful resource.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mick-l avatar image mick-l commented ·

thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
mick-l avatar image
mick-l answered ·

thanks for that. when you say the only one going to the neg.

there is the one from the neg battery terminal to the bus bar and the neg from the shunt to the neg terminal on the battery, so that 2 on the neg terminal of the battery

2 |3000

mick-l avatar image
mick-l answered ·

oh so your saying the neg that would normally go to the bus bar doesnt anymore.

2 |3000

mick-l avatar image
mick-l answered ·

excuse my poor drawing but like this i think

Mick L layout.pdf

mick-l-layout.pdf (131.4 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

@mick l

yes that’s the one.(those drawing seem easy starting out and soon decent into chaos. Must take hours for victron to do the schematics In the manuals!)

nice little positive fuse box. Where did you pick that up?

0 Likes 0 ·
mick-l avatar image mick-l jwfrary commented ·

its a drawing i did myself thats why it looks that bad

0 Likes 0 ·
jaycobius avatar image
jaycobius answered ·

What about the Ground wire? Should that be connected directly to the shunt? Or can it also be connected to the bus bar?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic