question

noelpolar avatar image
noelpolar asked

BMV 712 firmware load failure

I connected to my 712 yesterday and it required a firmware upgrade.... 2.12 to 2.14 .... anyway it kept timming out...... now seem sto hang at 1% and then errors out. Have tried a Samsung S8, Ipad, Iphone, Samsung S3 tab, macbook pro.... no diff.... help!

Have reloaded the Victronconnect app on different devices, still no go.... stoped and started BT.... still same result. Disconnected 712 for extended period.... same result. Did a reset of 712.... same result. Hrs of my life wasted.... was working fine before hand.

BMV Battery Monitorfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

A failure at 1% indicates an initial handshake problem.

Have you ever changed the Bluetooth password?

Or is it still the default - 000000 ?

If there is any sign of the device in the Bluetooth menu of your phones, remove it, and then connect through the app, it should prompt you for the password.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

noelpolar avatar image noelpolar commented ·

Password was at default.... but when trying everything yesterday I may have changed it..... can't be sure as it would just hang..... however I have tried to reset it to default via the puk code (to be sure) and I get a unkown error ff00.

Have deleted blue tooth storage and cache on S8, turned it back on and same result.

Do I need a usb cable to force a firmware ipdate?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ noelpolar commented ·

I have forwarded on your details to another support person so they can investigate with your local error log reports.

Apologies for the hassles and thanks for letting us know.

Yes, if you have access to a USB to VEdirect cable, I would try that.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattijoutkoski avatar image mattijoutkoski commented ·

I just got a new MPPT 75/15 unit installed yesterday having the same trouble. Phone used Huawei P9 and never got a request for a PiN code and unit not paired manually in Android. Current FW 2.10, 2.14 installation fails always in 1% no matter how close you are with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Clark avatar image
Scott Clark answered ·

A very Victron-smart friend had a similar problem with a bluetooth firmware upgrade which eventually resulted locking up the VictronConnect app connection after several attempts.

The answer was essentially Guy's answer.

My friend, had a watch with bluetooth paired to his phone with the VictronConnect app and when he took off the watch and left it out of range, the interference disappeared and the bluetooth was able to connect and firmware upgraded immediately.

Is there a 3rd bluetooth device possibly creating interference?

2 |3000

noelpolar avatar image
noelpolar answered ·

Have tried all that..... I suspect that part of the problem might be that whilst the firmware upgrade initially timed out around 80%.... at a later stage I used a different tablet that was off line and it wanted to load the earlier firmware.... implying that whilst 2.14 upgrade had timed out.... this other tablet tried to take the 712 back a firmware step (back to 2.12) ... I have a usb cable coming in a few days so am keen to see if I can update firmware via usb. 712 reports firmware 2.12 now.

2 |3000

technopet avatar image
technopet answered ·

Same here! But i get a Error #4 Connection lost, after 1%

Do it work with the usb cable?

1 comment
2 |3000

I sent a log file off to Victron and they replied to have the unit exchanged under warranty. Before sending it off (I live in the country) I did try the USB cable.... which connected and worked as a cable but the blue tooth connect issue remained... as I suspected. Anyway, unit has been replaced now and all is good.

1 Like 1 ·
technopet avatar image
technopet answered ·

You get the log file out of the 712 with the usb cable?

1 comment
2 |3000

No.... from iPad

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic