question

eric-s avatar image
eric-s asked

PWM Charge Controller LCD&USB : arrow blinking?

Hi,

I recently bought a BlueSolar PWM Charge Controller LCD&USB 12/24-5. Now, I'm using it with a 20 Wp solar panel and a 12V/24Ah VRLA battery. It's going well. But I have a question.

Sometime, on the LCD display, the left arrow, the one between the solar panel and the battery (also called "charging symbol" in the manual) is blinking. Moreover, there seems to be two different blinking speeds. I didn't found any explanation. So, what does the blinking of the charging arrow means?

Cheers

Eric

BlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jokees avatar image
jokees answered ·

I did get an answer from Victron on this:

It is not an error.

• When the first arrow is off, there is no energy available from the solar panel.
  • When the first arrow is on there is energy available and the battery is loading.
  • When the first arrow blinks there is energy available from the solar panel, but no loading takes place.
    This occurs in float loading (voltage high, but below the 14.2V absorbtion voltage (for LiFePO4 battery)). When energy is consumed from the battery, and the voltage decreases, a new load sequence will automatically be started. The battery will then be loaded until the absorbtion voltage is reached. Also when you reset the PWM a new sequence will be started.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wdv avatar image
wdv answered ·

I found a hint in the "BlueSolar PWM DUO-LCD-USB" manual, where it states: If arrow is flashing charger is in float.

But I could not find anything about fast blinking.

I had it happen in a setup with TWO PWM's charging the same battery, when the battery was almost full. ( The other PWM is a cheap Chinese one ). I guess the cheap PWM is providing a higher voltage, so the Victron stops charging. If I disconnect the battery and connect it again, the Victron will start charging again.

Also, I am charging a LifePO4 (with BMS) battery and I was experimenting with Battery types. The battery was in B3 ( wet lead acid ) configuration when the blinking occurred. Now it's back at B4 type.

2 |3000

jokees avatar image
jokees answered ·

I found the same problem. It occurs every now and then. I found no correlation with sun, time, or electrical configuration changes.

When it occurs the first arrow in the main display blinks fast, while the charge current is 0.0.

After a reset (switch to another battery type and back: b04->b03->b04) the home screen arrow is stable on, the charge current back to a normal charging value.

image11.png

image11.png (90.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic