question

neil-mclaughlin avatar image
neil-mclaughlin asked

Cerbo GX ethernet connection to Raymarine Axiom Pro via RayNet not working

Hi Folks,

I recently installed a Cerbox GX on my Catalina sailboat. I have read and re-read many articles and the manuals from both Raymarine and Victron, but I am stymied with the same result of "Hardware not Connected" on the Axiom Pro when I try to start the Victron app. I have checked all connections over and over. The VRM Portal and Remote Console are all working great. I have made the configuration changes on the Cerbo GX as directed in the manual for MFD connectivity.

According to the manuals, the Cerbo GX ethernet port should connect directly to a RayNet port(there are two on the back of the Axiom Pro) via the Raymarine cable. It is not working. No matter what setting I select on the Cerbo MQTT configuration, it doesn't work. Maybe its a bad cable but I am hoping someone can suggest a fix or something that I am missing.

For information, I have also connected the BMV-712 via VE-Direct and the Multi-plus Compact via ethernet cable. Both directly to the Cerbo GX.

One thing I noted regarding the Cerbo GX ethernet port is that the little network activity lights are not flashing. I would think that this means that I need to plug the Cerbo GX into a network hub that the Axiom Pro is also connected to but that is not described anywhere as being necessary to power the port.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

cerbo gx
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neil-mclaughlin avatar image neil-mclaughlin commented ·

Resolved. The RayNet cable had a contact out of place at the ethernet end. When I looked at it with a magnifying glass, I discovered this and straightened the little pin in the adapter. Oddly, it worked with the network switch but not with the Cerbo GX. Now, the app is working just fine. Anyway, thanks to all for your time and help.

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

Both Cerbo and Axiom have 10/100 Ethernet ports. Maybe these ports are not auto MDI/MDIX With a small switch in between (25EUR 5port switch) you can see what is happening. You should at least have a Link signal. So far the physical connection.

Then we have the IP configuration, when possible configure a fixed IP number on both sides.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:mfd-raymarine

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion to try a switch. I have now done that network test and it was successful. The Cerbo and Axiom were able to communicate, the Cerbo ethernet port was showing activity and the Victron app displayed the data. I plugged the RayNet cable from the Axiom Pro and an ethernet cable from the Cerbo, both into the switch. Surely, this cannot be the final solution as I should not have to power a switch between the two devices.

Also, I tried the suggestions by Rob and all of that worked as well. I was able to mimic the Victron app on a laptop connected to the Cerbo ethernet port directly. Again, the Cerbo ethernet port showed network activity. All worked fine in that test.

However, when I plug the Axiom's Raynet cable directly into the Cerbo ethernet port, no network activity and the app will not work.

Further guidance or test appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image Peter Buijs - NL neil-mclaughlin commented ·

Looks like you need a RJ45 Crosscable to connect both without the switch in between.

So Raynet>RJ45 cable and short RJ45-RJ45 CrossCable

RJ45 pin1 - RJ45 pin3
RJ45 pin2 - RJ45 pin6
RJ45 pin3 - RJ45 pin1
RJ45 pin6 - RJ45 pin2

Or a simple AliExpress adapter

RJ45 M/F Crossover Adapter Male to Female Crossed Ethernet Cable Adaptor

0 Likes 0 ·
1599148362532.png (2.2 KiB)
neil-mclaughlin avatar image neil-mclaughlin Peter Buijs - NL commented ·

Hi Peter,

I have continued testing and have concluded that the Axiom is not recognizing the Cerbo, without the switch in between them. Your suggestion below of using the crossover adapter will be tried next. I have ordered this one from Amazon here in Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006RG1OUG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also downloaded the latest Venus OS update 2.60. However, that did nothing to resolve the issue.

Please advise if this product above is sufficient.

Many thanks,

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image Peter Buijs - NL neil-mclaughlin commented ·

Looks like the correct product...

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello @Neil McLaughlin, you can try this with your laptop. Connect the ethernet cable between the Cerbo and your laptop. Set the IP correct. Make sure you can PING the Cerbo. Then on your laptop open your browser and in the address field type : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/app
The xxx is the IP number of your Cerbo.

Then the same screen should open as it should be on your Raymarine.
In this way you can at least split up and hopefully find the issue.

let us know when you have this working.

all the best, Rob

4 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Rob. I will try this in next couple of days when back at boat.

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Rob,

I have now completed all the tests that you indicate above. Further, I tried the switch idea that Peter suggested below, successfully.

I was able to mimic the Victron app on a Mac laptop connected to the Cerbo ethernet port directly. Again, the Cerbo ethernet port showed network activity. All worked fine in that test. The Victron app and Remote Console were both accessible via the Mac.

However, when I returned to the specificed connection approach and plugged the Axiom's Raynet cable directly into the Cerbo ethernet port, no network activity and the app will not work.

Further guidance or test appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn neil-mclaughlin commented ·

Hello Neil, So what will happen if you make a network connection between your Raymarine display to the switch and from your laptop to the switch. Make sure the IP on your laptop is in the same network. Can you then ping the Raymarine display.
I am just thinking of a way to find out if the ethernetport on the Raymarine displays is working or not?

Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
neil-mclaughlin avatar image neil-mclaughlin Rob Fijn commented ·

Hi Rob, I can try that. I have a 120v switch that I can use. I assume that I would find the IP address of the MFD to ping by looking in the network setting. Will do that later today and advise.

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Neil,

Here is some more info:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:mfd-raymarine

It also mention what firmware you must have on the Raymarine display.
But if no lights blink up, to me it looks like it is not even trying to start the communication.

Rob

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Rob. I have read through these instructions several times and have done exactly what is directed. However, the Cerbo port lights will not light up unless I put a switch in between the two devices. While I can order a DC powered switch, that just makes everything more complicated in the cockpit locker and I am sure neither Raymarine or Victron intended this. Both the Axiom Pro and Cerbo GX are at the latest firmware.

I am ordering the M/F Crossover adapter as suggested by Peter. Will try that in a couple of weeks and advise.

Other ideas appreciated.

Regards,

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·