question

nebulight avatar image
nebulight asked

Any chance Victron will make a better BMV screen?

I'm thinking about adding more solar to my campervan which will require me to replace my MPPT controller. My current controller is a Blue Sky Energy unit that has a remote monitor that also functions as a battery monitor (with external shunt). I want to move away from the combined unit as my external BMS has charge and discharge relays that I want to wire the solar controller to. In the event of an over voltage condition, it will disconnect the charge relay which will disconnect the solar controller and screen, so the current battery monitor will lose power and lose the SOC. Since I'll be purchasing two new units, I'll probably go Victron for both MPPT controller and battery monitor since their smart network can talk to the each other and I can have the relay on the BMV disconnect the charge relay in the even of an under temp condition as I'm currently using a cheap 12v thermostat from Amazon that I questions it's calibration.

However I find that it's a bit of a downgrade with the screen resolution that the BMV-712 provides. I understand that the screen is low res to be low power, but just curious if Victron has any plans to provide a high res screen any time soon? I know I can hook up to my cell phone, but it's nice to have for my wife or I to at a glance check SOC or draw.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

With both an MPPT and the BMV, the better screen (and more) is the addition of a Color Control GX to your system.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I don't have a Victron Inverter charger and my BMS doesn't communicate over CAN so I feel that the Color Control GX would not be worth it for both price, features available and hit on power usage even in stand by.

0 Likes 0 ·
wolfbarnsolar avatar image wolfbarnsolar commented ·

yes the CCGX JUST CRAMS IT ALL IN how is that better

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Use the Victron app on your Phone as this connects to the BMV 712, This gives you great screen size and easy to read. Plus its easy to adjust the settings as wqell

1 comment
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I understand that, but it would be nice to have more info on my control panel area in my campervan. It's also nice to not have to use your phone all the time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Clark avatar image
Scott Clark answered ·

Buy a cheap tablet with pretty colours, HD resolution and touchscreen, mount it on your wall instead of the BMV dial face. Secure the dial face out of sight (next to the battery) Add VictronConnect app and connect with Bluetooth. Make VictronConnect app your default. Voila!

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party it seems; but yes I can confirm we do have such plans. But thats long time out; not soon unfortunately.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic