question

Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi asked

CCGX fuse when connected to VE Bus BMS

CCGX manual says that the supplied DC power cable includes an inline 3.15 A slow blow fuse. When CCGX is installed in a system having VE Bus BMS and MultiPlus it's instructed to connect CCGX power cable to BMS load disconnect connector. However, BMS manual says that source current limit for the load disconnect output is 2 A.

Is the load disconnect output of the VE Bus BMS sufficient for powering the CCGX?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jono (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Jono (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Is the Color GX connecting to VRM with wifi or internet?

If it is, I would tend to wire the Color GX to the positive bus bar of the batteries. There is nothing worse than a system going into low voltage alarm and then going offline and you having the stress of trying to get the installation without knowing anything.

I realise the Color GX takes more power but you can remotely disable the display to reduce its consumption and remotely disable other equipment to further reduce consumption until you get to the installation.

If you don't use VRM and there is no remote connection, I'd probably treat it as a normal item of load and wire to the load side of the battery protect?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi answered ·

Thanks Jono,

Yes, the CCGX will be connected to VRM and I'm going to follow your advice.

Now, the next question is if it's possible to remotely turn the MultiPlus (actually EasySolar) to charger only mode in case batteries are going low? From the CCGX manual I have understood that it would not be possible. The manual also says that "The only way to control a Multi or Quattro when used with a VE.Bus BMS is to add a Digital Multi Control to the system." But can it be done on VRM?

2 |3000