question

jefndeb avatar image
jefndeb asked

New Install of MultiPlus, BMV & Cerbo GX questions

Hello,

We are in the installation planning stage of the a new MultiPlus, Serbo GX, GX touchscreen and BMV-XXX ...the BMV is being added to enable the display of Battery DC info on the touchscreen

Question 1-

I see the Serbo has Bluetooth, so with that, which BMV-7xx is the best choice?

I would not need a BMV with BlueTooth if the Serbo has it right?

I see the BMV connects to the Cerbo via V.E.bus cable, so I guess i would get a BMV that has only a VE, not BlueTooth? do they make that? V.E.bus connection only?

Question 2

Since the Serbo has a Wi-Fi connection, I assume its installation location needs to be reasonably exposed for connectivity?

Looking in the install manual I didn't see anything about its preferred installation location.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Currently there's no way to connect a BMV to a GX device (like Cerbo) via Bluetooth. You need to use the VE.direct connection. The advantage to a Bluetooth BMV is you can configure it from a phone/laptop. With non-Bluetooth BMVs you need a VE.direct USB adapter for configuration. For this reason, I'd recommend the BMV-712 (with Bluetooth) but a BMV-700 (without Bluetooth) would work. Coming "soon" is the Smart Shunt. It's a BMV without display so you save a little money. Trouble it, last time I checked they are in short supply.

The best way to connect Cerbo to a network is via an ethernet cable but that only works if you have a cable path from Cerbo to your router/switch. Wi-Fi reliability depends on a solid connection which is affected by many, many things but Cerbo doesn't need to be out in the open. You could also add an external USB Wi-Fi adapter if that can be located somewhere to give you better signal. About the only limitation on Cerbo's mounting location is the cable length to the display. Other cables can be relatively long but it makes sense to locate Cerbo close to other equipment (e.g., the Multi) if possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jefndeb avatar image
jefndeb answered ·

OK, thank you....so if the Cerbo provides a Bluetooth connection to your phone, can I opt for the BMV-701 kit (with it being connected to the Cerbo via the V.E. cable) so that data would also be visible on the Phone app and/or web portal?? kinda like the attatched schematic shows??

multi-1.jpg (36.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Cerbo will integrate the BMV information into it's screens and status pages. However I believe Cerbo's Bluetooth is currently limited to configuration.

But you can connect your phone or tablet to Cerbo via Wi-Fi (assuming Cerbo is connected to a local network) and get access to the same user interface that appears on the Touch 50 display. You just point a web browser to the IP address of Cerbo or potentially via http://venus.local

0 Likes 0 ·
jefndeb avatar image
jefndeb answered ·

Here is a schematic i have done , please comment or provide suggestions....Victron 1.jpg

victron-1.jpg (27.7 KiB)
2 |3000