question

halfwalker avatar image
halfwalker asked

Can Quattro start a generator like a car - off/on/start-momentary ?

We will be installing a Quattro 48V/10K sometime soon, and would like to have it autostart a small Duromax XP12000EH generator. That generator uses a typical car-like starting system, with a keyswitch (that I'll tap into) that has Off/On/Start-momentary. Looks like this

• Off : two sets of wires are jumped. Easy enough to do with an extra double-pole relay. These ground out the coil, and open the fuel solenoid.
  • On : nothing is connected.
  • Start : Just like a car, momentary jump of two wires until gen is running, maybe 2-3 secs

I see lots of posts about using special generator control modules ($$) or timed relays etc. There must a way to use the programmable relay assistants to handle this. @Mark gave a really nice description in

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/41930/venus-disconnect-ac-in-1-when-generator-signal-is.html

that it should be possible using two relays, programmable primary, and secondary K1. (I want to use K2 for a vent fan in the battery box ...)

The logic would look something like this I think :

Quattro determines that gen should start (battery SOC/Volts AND no grid AC)

• Close primary relay. Hold in this condition as long as gen should run.
  • Wait 1 second
  • Close K1 relay
  • Wait 3 seconds
  • Open K1 relay

Quattro determines that gen should stop (battery SOC/Volts OR grid AC good)

• Open main relay

How could we implement this with Assistants etc ?

Generator
1597759730786.png (39.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

halfwalker avatar image halfwalker commented ·

So there are several answers basically saying to use a generator-control module, or timed relays. Is there no way to do this with the on-board relays of a Quattro with appropriately configured Assistants ?

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think I would use an external relay like the Eltako MFZ12DX-UC.
With the ARV function you can set a delay to switch on/off, but it is the same delay for both.
https://www.eltako.com/fileadmin/downloads/en/_bedienung/MFZ12DX_23001005-1_gb.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The relays in Victron devices can't be programmed to generate a pulse so you need to generate the start pulse externally. When the "run" relay closes, it would trigger the external circuitry. I used a timer IC to generate a delayed pulse that closes a relay. But off the shelf delay relays are available too.

1 comment
2 |3000

I thought the relay locker assistant could do the delay ... for example

So conditions occur (AC-in, battery V/SOC etc.) to indicate Must-Start-Generator! and the various assistants start to run. It's just the configuration of the assistants to get right, heh heh.

• Turn main relay (to trigger remote dual-pole relay for Off/On)
  • Some magic with general flag to wait 2 seconds
  • Turn on K1 relay / Use relay locker to ensure it turns off after 3 seconds
0 Likes 0 ·
1597779820087.png (14.3 KiB)
1597779829883.png (14.3 KiB)
ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

Module makes it easy and has some safeguards too. Check out a dynagen TG350. Fully programmable, senses engine speed so it knows when to stop cranking which a simple timer based device wont. worth every penny and accepts the simple close relay to start that is available from quattro or GX device. It also has an input to reset in case of a failure to start that can be sent from GX device that is online.

2 |3000

misullivan avatar image
misullivan answered ·

I built a UNO based module (with DFrobot relay board) to do this (with a gentrax generator.. needs a double pulse to start).. it includes an alarm if the generator fails to start or stop, and will try the start/stop three times before going into “alarm mode”.. but there is no way to get the Quattro to do it for you.

If you want to build your own I am happy to share the code

2 comments
2 |3000

I would love to take a look at it :) I've been an Atmel AVR microcontroller programmer for 15 years since ATtiny2313 days.

That said though, it looks like one can do it directly from the Quattro using the programmable relay, the relay locker and the general flag. Just need to figure out the magic incantation ...

0 Likes 0 ·
ernie avatar image ernie commented ·

Please can you also share with me

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image
alan answered ·
2 |3000