question

Dave avatar image
Dave asked

Current limit issue on MPPT100/20

Hello,

I am using Victron Energy MPPT100/20s is slightly unconventional way. We are testing new solar panels and so we are hooking each panel up to its own MPPT. Instead of a battery with are using a fixed 2.2 Ohm (1kW) resistor. The panels are 400W bifatials with optimum output voltage~33V. I have set the MPPT output to charge a 24V battery. The MPPT works well most of the time and allows us to record voltage and current to the VRM. One issue is that the output of the panels seems to be capped. They are 400W panels, but the MPPT is capping them at 330W... this is corresponding to 28.3V and 11.2A. I am guessing that there is a limit to the output charging voltage~28V which is limiting this. We are thinking if we change the load to 1 Ohm we should get around this, which would allow 28Vx20A or 560W before causing issues. My question is will the MPPT limit the current below its rated 20A, or could we potentially damage the MPPT operating like this? We will need appropriate cables to deal with the higher current.

Thanks,

Dave

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello Dave,

The MPPT's will always limit the output voltage to stay below the maximum specified output current, 20A in this case. So lowering the resistance (e.g. 2 x 2.2Ohm in parallel) should allow a higher output power.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.